Burning on your allotment

• 11 Replies

Benny130

• Experienced Member
Burning on your allotment
« on: October 26, 2022, 13:58 »
Hi all. I recently enquired with my allotment committee regarding burning on our plot. I didnt get a reply to my email so looked on the website and it directed me to some instructions of the main allotment shed. It said that from October 1st burning was permitted.....

I went ahead and bought an incinerator and fired it up last weekend. After 3 minutes the chairman approached me asking what i was doing and did I know that burring was banned. He said this was because the council had had so many complaints that unless we stopped the whole site would be evicted.

I wouldn't have thought the council could enforce this could they? The surrounding houses would be "allowed" to burn in their back gardens so why shouldn't we be allowed to. Can anyone shed any light on the rules at their sites?

Thanks in advance

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Burning on your allotment
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2022, 15:59 »
There are two, perhaps three, separate issues here:

1. National environmental health rules about not causing a statutory nuisance. This includes smoke and smells. So any smoky bonfire in a built-up area will in theory break the law.

2. Local bye-laws.

3. Tenancy agreement clauses.

We can't advise on what the situation is for you re. numbers 2 & 3.

Where I am, our tenancies say must not cause a nuisance. I can't remember if they do actually ban bonfires between certain dates. But all tenants were told earlier this year that having a bonfire would be an automatic breach of tenancy conditions in view of the sustained heat, fire risk, and impact on water resources to put a fire out. That has now been lifted.

I suggest you have a look at the actual tenancy conditions and ask where the council has set out that bonfires are not permitted at all.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

snowdrops

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2022, 17:22 »
We are allowed bonfires of non compostable waste produced on site I.e not brought on site to burn on Tuesdays & Thursdays between 9 am & 3 pm. They too were banned during the heatwave & during the first lockdown due to people maybe having breathing difficulties.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2022, 10:44 »
We too ban burning except for on a set and specific range of days (this year it's 5th-13th November inclusive) because of complaints from neighbouring households and tenant's inability to distinguish what a large fire looks like or if the weather isn't suitable for burning (i.e. the prevailing wind is too strong or is blowing up the hill towards the houses.

As you say, householders are able to burn as long as it doesn't cause a nuisance, so why not take yours home and keep it until the 5th November?

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2022, 13:16 »
Over here, most cities and towns have a total ban on household burning.  Growing up in the state of Indiana, it was common for households to burn leaves in the fall, household paper/trash at all times of the year.  There was an acrid smoke coming from somewhere in the neighborhood several times a week.  Sometimes it was extremely unpleasant to be outside, and keeping doors and windows shut was necessary.  There were also instances of burns getting out of control. At our house, if Dad asked us to go burn leaves, the rule was to stay with it until the fire was totally out (the drunk down the road did not do this; throw some gasoline on it, light a match, go back for another beer and forget it).

We haven't done household burning in decades.  I can't remember the date, but it probably ended with bans in the 1970s.  The improvement in air quality has been tremendous.  You still sometimes see it in very rural areas, out and away from towns.

« Last Edit: October 28, 2022, 13:22 by Subversive_plot »
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

Nobbie

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2022, 22:44 »
On our site you are allowed to burn at certain times of the day all year round. Not many do though.

geordiekev

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2022, 10:40 »
On our site in Scarborough, we are allowed to burn in an incinerator before 10am and after 3pm, no bonfires as such but that rule is frequently ignored. We are not allowed to leave the plot unattended if having a fire, but again that is frequently ignored.

rowlandwells

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2022, 18:44 »
at present there are no restrictions on our allotment but, on my daughter's allotment bonfires are banned except for one month a year being November and provided it doesn't cause any nuisance   because there is residential housing near the allotments so that's understandable so now, we bag all the rubbish and take it to the tip to keep everyone happy :)

Learnerlady

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2022, 20:47 »
Our allotment is on a council site and bonfires are covered in the tenancy agreement. Allowed from October to around April for disposal of diseased material. Suggestion about times so as to not annoy the neighbours but in practice not always followed. Personally I take stuff to the tip

bobbyt

• Experienced Member
  • Still Learning !
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2022, 16:50 »
Our site is near a hospital, and also some houses, who have both complained in the past, so depending where your plot is, burning is restricted. We do have a Fire Skip (old skip), which can be used by everyone, dependant on wind direction etc.

Bryan and carol

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2022, 19:29 »
We are not allowed to burn from April to the end of September, and then there are restrictions, in essence we are expected only to burn dry stuff. In recent years the winters have been wet, and so far, this one is no exception, so everything on the site is wet. It would make more sense to only allow burning over the summer months as a dry fire would burn cleaner and quicker. We have a housing estate to one side of our site and the council has received complaints in the past. Most plot holders are sensible and only burn when the wind is blowing away from the houses, but there is always one !

Bryan and carol

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2022, 16:09 »
I managed to get a fire away yesterday as there was a strong westerly blowing carrying the smoke away from our neighbours. I had kept some wood for kindling in the greenhouse and that made a good start, then fanned by the strong wind our fruit bush/tree prunings burnt in no time at all. A most satisfactory experience !

xx
burning on the allotment?

Started by SUTTY1 on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post October 27, 2010, 12:43
by madcat
xx
burning

Started by Teabag on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post October 09, 2008, 18:48
by Teabag
xx
Burning Question

Started by davejg on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post October 23, 2011, 12:10
by compostqueen
xx
burning weeds

Started by SMD66 on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post June 12, 2009, 21:31
by teflon

Page created in 0.301 seconds with 45 queries.