allotment site gates and locks

• 18 Replies

VioletSky

allotment site gates and locks
« on: March 06, 2010, 22:50 »
Our allotment site of 30 plots is surrounded by a wooden post & wire fence, and we enter it through a wooden bar gate like a farmer's gate but for pedestrians. The gate closes with an auto gate catch, and the last person to leave padlocks it closed.

Do most sites have this bar gate and padlock system, or is there a better system we should take a look at?

Gwiz

Re: allotment site gates and locks
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2010, 06:05 »
We have a high chainlink fence around ours with concrete posts and large double gates made of steel and chainlink. We also have large and dense plantings of pyracantha and brambles all around the perimeter.
It would also have been nice to be able to have a large minefield and watch towers, but I suppose the council thought it might cause problems with paperwork in the future.

I guess the way in which you keep unwanted visitors out, depends on the type of area you live in........

Rangerkris

• My pic's
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2010, 07:22 »
We have steel palisaid fence and gate, the deal with the key is that the gate is locked at all times. the lock is on a chain so even if its get left unlocked the lock dont get lost.  Its this way due to the amount of people there are on the site there is about 170 plots.

Lock it evey time and you cant go wrong
Thanks
Kris

VioletSky

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2010, 08:59 »
So if you also have locks, how does the last person out know that they're the last one out?

We can't comfortably reach the padlock if it's locked on the outside, and so I worry that one day the person who locks up won't actually be the last one out (as we don't check every plot and shed when leaving). How do you ensure there won't be a plotholder locked inside? Or am I worrying about something that will never happen?

Gwiz

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2010, 10:07 »
On our allotments, the roadway passes up the center of the site, the idea is to check that nobody else is on site as you walk along the road. However, our lock is a large combination padlock that is welded to its chain. The combination is changed four times a year (coinciding with the seasons), and every plot holder is told, by letter, at the beginning of the year ( with the charge for rents) what the numbers will be and what date they will change. Fortunately for us, the lock can be undone from inside, or outside the site.
I've found taking a phone with me quite useful, as I have been the last person on site and have been locked in. Guess which idiot couldn't remember the combination...... :blush:

granjan

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2010, 10:20 »
My husband and I got locked in once when we decided to finish putting support up for the raspberries.  We decided to finish the job by touchlight.   I'd never bothered with a key as I normally walk up and the gate only prevents vehicles but we'd driven up this day.  Luckily, I'd remembered my phone and the secretary lives just round the corner  :)

My children did wonder what we were doing in the shed at 10 o'clock at night   ;)

Rangerkris

• My pic's
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2010, 17:40 »
When you take a plot you get a key, when you give up you give the key back. It work well for our site.

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2010, 17:45 »
Our group of allotments are open to all!  Every year as the nights draw in, the ne'r do wells break into the sheds as regularly as clockwork.  Not much pilferring (touch wood) but as the Wilts and Berks Canal is being re-instated and it looks as though it will pass the allotments quite close, I can see that veggies will begin to walk!  I shall approach the council with a plea for a decent fence but it is so easy for them to say NO!   Cheers,   Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

janet12000

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2010, 18:06 »
We have a high chainlink fence around ours with concrete posts and large double gates made of steel and chainlink. We also have large and dense plantings of pyracantha and brambles all around the perimeter.
It would also have been nice to be able to have a large minefield and watch towers, but I suppose the council thought it might cause problems with paperwork in the future.

I guess the way in which you keep unwanted visitors out, depends on the type of area you live in........

Ours has the same kind of set up, as it is in a bit of a dodgy area  ;)

Everyone has a key to the padlock and the rules are that it is supposed to be locked at all times.
It really annoys me when people don't lock it.  >:( I suppose it is a pain to have to keep on doing it but it is there for a reason.
I had to come home today as I was the last one left on site. I get a bit nervy if I am there on my own.

VioletSky

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2010, 21:17 »
...Fortunately for us, the lock can be undone from inside, or outside the site.

This is what I'd like to set up, but my little brain can't figure out how to set it up so the lock can be accessed from inside the plot, to avoid locking anyone in accidentally. When anyone shuts the padlock through the chain, it can only be accessed from outside.  :(

Etherelda

• Experienced Member
    • http://fernanddavesallotment.blogspot.com/
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2010, 22:25 »
dunno if its a good thing or bad thing, our allotment has substantial fencing and a great big metal gate, with bolt that could be locked, but we don't, touchwood have enough pilfering to warrant a key.

last year, some onions were stolen, that's it really.

I would be worried if I got locked in!
"Do not sit supine in God's Waiting Room."

Rangerkris

• My pic's
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2010, 06:32 »

This is the sort we have where the latch come across you can get your hand in and the lock is on the chain and welded to the frame.  I keep my key with my water tap key so every time i go to the plot i will need my key pretty much.

noshed

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2010, 16:02 »
Big double gates one end, single one the other - all locked with padlocks. Surrounded by 3m high fence with barbed wire on the top, surrounded by houses. People still get in though. So far they haven't nicked much.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

VioletSky

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2010, 10:43 »
Thanks very much for all the ideas you've given me, I've realised where we're going wrong with our padlock and chain...

The chain is attached to the gatepost, and the loose end wraps through the verticle bar of the gate. If I alter it so the entire chain is loose and wraps round the gatepost and the gate's verticle bar, then if anyone gets locked in then they should be able to pull the chain and its padlock round to the inside and let themselves out. Genuis!

I'm not sure why it took reading all your replies (and v.helpful picture) for me to figure out what now seems an obvious solution, but it did, so thanks lots :)

PennyS

• My website
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2010, 11:17 »
Big double gates one end, single one the other - all locked with padlocks. Surrounded by 3m high fence with barbed wire on the top, surrounded by houses. People still get in though. So far they haven't nicked much.
Oooh that sounds good.  We have been trying to improve security round ours by putting very thorny hedge cuttings along the outside of the fence.  They might get in but they'll be scratched to bits!!
Lotty holder since Aug 09... I've FINALLY finished clearing it! On with the p.lanting  ....

xx
Door locks for alluminium greenhouses??

Started by infowarrior on Equipment Shed

1 Replies
Last post June 01, 2007, 09:00
by Bobby T
xx
on site security cameras

Started by finleyfreyaseth on Equipment Shed

8 Replies
Last post March 21, 2015, 11:06
by Kristen
xx
New Allotment

Started by dobby on Equipment Shed

14 Replies
Last post September 22, 2006, 20:43
by noshed
xx
allotment shed

Started by new_2_veg on Equipment Shed

7 Replies
Last post June 08, 2008, 21:20
by new_2_veg

Page created in 0.16 seconds with 39 queries.