Putting my new babies to bed.

• 6 Replies

NormandyMary

Putting my new babies to bed.
« on: September 26, 2011, 20:47 »
Our new arrivals have settled in well, eating grass, finding their food and water etc. Three of the girls discovered the entrance to the henhouse, and perched in there for a couple of hours. I thought that when it got dark the others would follow suit. WRONG. The inside 3 came outside to join the others. It was pitch black, I'd just put the boys to bed, picked up my torch and went into the run. Because it was so dark I managed to catch all of them and get them inside, I was surprised that even the cockerel didnt put up much of a fight. Hopefully after a few nights they will get the hang of things. I just cant wait till morning, so that I can let them out again. Im hoping that we get a cockle doodle doo as well. He must be old enough to crow, he was certainly old enough to have his wicked way with one of the girls this afternoon...dirty beast!! ::)

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
Re: Putting my new babies to bed.
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2011, 20:52 »
Congratulations on your new flock.  Try a small torch switched on in the coop near to dusk this should attract them to the right nesting place.  Waiting to see photos.   :)
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

NormandyMary

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2011, 19:40 »
Just been out in the pitch black to put the babies to bed, with torch in hand expecting a fight on my hands. When I got there, no sign of any chooks, just the noise of chook chatter. Checked the new house and all the girls were in there all settled, but no Colin (the cockerel). After all his lovemaking today, and boy was there loads of that, he decided he wanted the night alone in the smaller house. Cant belive my luck, what clever little chooks!

Charlie's Chickens

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2011, 19:56 »
Could they have a word with my Dotty, she was still eyeing up the trees tonight even with a torch in the house  :wacko:
Emma

Anndee

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2011, 14:02 »
I love Colin as the name of your cockerel  :D
He sounds like a real little character. Pleased to hear they are all settling in well.

NormandyMary

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2011, 20:01 »
Colin went in with all the other girls tonight, so they wont be getting any sleep , dirty beast :D. First thing he did when I let him out this morning was jump on the back of one of the girls who was just minding her own business having a little peck of grass. However, did I get a cockle doodle doo? Oh NO I did NOT.
I can see Im going to have to have a little word with our Colin. He's here for OUR benefit, not HIS!!!!! ::)

bantam novice

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2011, 20:47 »
How lovely that you have a flock again.   :) 
Have they met your goats yet?
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

xx
I have babies

Started by jaxchucks on Chicken Chat

3 Replies
Last post March 05, 2011, 11:06
by jaxchucks
xx
New babies

Started by mumsy on Chicken Chat

7 Replies
Last post September 25, 2010, 22:58
by joyfull
xx
Bumblyquail Babies

Started by Kate and her Ducks on Chicken Chat

5 Replies
Last post May 13, 2010, 15:21
by Hawkins
xx
My babies (with pics)

Started by scabs on Chicken Chat

12 Replies
Last post June 23, 2010, 16:54
by scabs

Page created in 0.14 seconds with 39 queries.