Growing parsnips in polytunnel?

• 6 Replies

samnorfolk

• Experienced Member
Growing parsnips in polytunnel?
« on: March 02, 2013, 06:55 »
Has anyone ever grown parsnips in polytunnnel??

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Growing parsnips in polytunnel?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2013, 08:38 »
Why would you want to  :unsure: - they're one of the hardiest veg around  ;)

samnorfolk

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2013, 08:50 »
Sorry forgot to say im a complete newbie to this growing veg malarkey! after a bit of research though have seen that these babies are going outside in a raised bed  :)

tuckers_luck

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2013, 13:19 »
Hi if you go on the rickvanman videos on you tube he grew parsnips in his polytunnel and they were good the reason they were under polythene was mainly to avoid the awful weather.Outside they would have had a hard time germinating in the standing water. If you have the room go for it! :D

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2013, 13:34 »
If you've got the room, try lots of different things, but say only a few of each to see how they go.

I've grown a few brassicas in mine.  grew okay, but got terrible aphids.  potatoes, not so many on each plant, but lovely condition, not scab or anything.  Leeks, grew well bit not as big as outside and runners, peas and broad beans.

I usually stick to my tomatoes and chillies now though.

agapanthus

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2013, 16:48 »
We grew some early caulies when we had the polytunnel and they were amazing....shame they all came at once though but the neighbours liked them!  :D

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2013, 18:23 »
Tried many things in my polytunnel but the most successful were sweetcorn, celeriac (much bigger and earlier than outdoors, early carrots (Nantes), leeks (although do better outdoors), tomatoes (various but bush-type tend to grow too vigorous), cucumbers, peppers, early turnips (superbly sweet), oca (not a good idea as they try and take over the tunnel) and best of all strawberries ( a crop to die for in May last year) but needed hand-pollinating due to lack of insect-life in that cold wet spring. Beetroot (Golden and Chiogga were  great)

Failures were melon (probably my fault for not hand pollinating well enough), spring onions (all came at once) and various herbs such as sorrel etc

Page created in 0.168 seconds with 38 queries.