Have I become a Seedaholic??

• 17 Replies

Tenhens

• freedom lodge for tenhens ex battery 1 year on
Have I become a Seedaholic??
« on: February 21, 2020, 20:30 »
Have just been looking through my tin of seeds ( tin size 12" X 8" X 5" approx ) in preparation for the approaching season and became aware that there was not much free space. I should count the number of packets but am fearful of having enough fingers and will I be of sound mind when the final amount is revealed.

Should I count the potatoes in the spare room ?

Have the seeds of doom already been sown , or is there still time for redemption ?
we also rescue rabbits and guinea pigs, grow own veg

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Have I become a Seedaholic??
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2020, 20:39 »
is there still time for redemption ?

No it's too late, you may just as well give in and admit the truth...……………..and buy a bigger box for next year  :lol: :lol:

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2020, 21:01 »
Who wants to be redeemed  :lol:

I have just have to stop myself buying pink broad beans.  It's all John's fault.  His latest diary entry is all about sowing seeds and I had never heard of them, so I had to look ...  I have taken them back out of my basket and walked away for now.  Will my resolve last  :unsure: 

I have a seed box for veg, plus a seed tin for flowers and they are both full.  That should be telling me something, but somehow I think I need more  ::)

Growster...

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2020, 21:35 »
I chucked a load of out-of-date seeds on the lawn for the birds, but I don't know how they fared...

Oh heck, I hope they weren't F1, they may 'migrate'...

(Coat ready to be got...)

Tenhens

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2020, 21:38 »
is there still time for redemption ?

No it's too late, you may just as well give in and admit the truth...……………..and buy a bigger box for next year  :lol: :lol:

How big should it be ? 

I'm not sure that buying a bigger box for next year could help.  Will one box be enough ? Each time I go to a garden retailer I am drawn to all those slimline packets. They don't have signs warning seedaholics to avoid these areas  :ohmy:, it is just so difficult to deal with when the retailers have ' special offers ' like ' three for two '.   

Wellington

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2020, 21:46 »
Aren’t all gardeners?  During some very bleak years with no prospect of gardening at all, I still bought seeds because they were (to me) hope of better times. The weeds, weather and other woes are all still to come, with seeds one is buying little packets of promise.

I am seriously considering removing the bed from the spare room (it has been occupied for two nights in the year we have been here) along with the carpet, adding racking and some sunblasters, plumbing a sink from the bathroom next door and turning it into an indoor grow-room. It’s the way I use it most (apart from drying laundry, and I don’t feel the two are incompatible. After all, one does it in the actual garden)

(I have two boxes and a drawer for overspill.  It’s normal and healthy, I tell you!)

It would be cheaper than the lean-to greenhouse I’m saving up for, and more reversible should I move or fail to rediscover my green fingers)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2020, 21:56 »
How big should it be ? 

I have a small suitcase for mine 20ins x 15ins and that's just veg - I have a separate 7in x 7in tin for my flower seeds - both are jam packed. In fact I had a clear out of really old stuff and varieties that didn't do well for me - just to get this year's new packets in there  ::)

rowlandwells

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2020, 09:05 »
I had a field day the other year when a well known garden centre was selling of there old stock we bought loads of seeds looking back just because they where cheep  :nowink:

we still have several draws full of both flower and veg seed mainly flower seed in fact there are probably enough to set up a seed shop

although the packets haven't been opened I have reservations if there going to be any good so we are going to sow  as many seed as we can this season to se if they germinate?  and I have to agree I'm seedaholic because I even bought more seed this year

looking on the bright side if all the flower and veg seed do germinate we will have something to sell on a boot sale  :D

GraciesGran

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2020, 14:18 »
The things you can't have too many of are seeds and books.  It is also impossible to have too much knitting yarn.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2020, 14:51 »
The things you can't have too many of are seeds and books.  It is also impossible to have too much knitting yarn.
Instead of the knitting yarn I have a fabric stash  ::)  :lol:

Wellington

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2020, 17:11 »
I could not agree more. Hurrah for books, seeds, yarn and fabric! 

Tenhens

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2020, 21:43 »
There are some interesting comments that have been posted.

Wellington , we have a spare room and I have managed to give some space to some onion and strawberry , and geranium sowings , however Mrs Tenhens also ' collects' yarn ( 4ply , chunky , doubleknit  , super chunky etc )  we are having to 'discuss ' who get priority :lol: :lol:  I have mentioned that you can't eat these yarns but I think  she is pulling the wool over my eyes  :ohmy:

Yes it is  :lol: :lol:  I must admit I do like a good second hand gardening book ;)

The use of a suit case is awesome  , if it's one with wheels it helps when it gets heavy and the slide away handle is useful when storing.  What happens when one goes on holiday? :ohmy:

I did lighten my store by three packets today . :lol: :lol:

Wellington

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2020, 10:45 »
Wellington , we have a spare room and I have managed to give some space to some onion and strawberry , and geranium sowings , however Mrs Tenhens also ' collects' yarn ( 4ply , chunky , doubleknit  , super chunky etc )  we are having to 'discuss ' who get priority :lol: :lol:  I have mentioned that you can't eat these yarns but I think  she is pulling the wool over my eyes  :ohmy:

There is nothing wrong with collecting yarn. It is a completely valid hobby. There are people out there who collect spoons and stamps, postcards and coins. Or pins. At least yarn is useful, and reusable, tell Mrs Tenhens she’s in good company!  Also, it turns into sweaters, socks, hats, gloves, scarves so you will never be cold come the apocalypse. I am fortunate to have a study to store my yarn in (and occasionally do some work). The spare room is a constant fight between laundry and various plantings, all of which I spend a great deal more time on than having guests! 

The yarn has its own storage are (in my study, in which I also work. Occasionally.)

75751230-9A7D-411B-9DF7-7F3C013ADBF6.jpeg

Tenhens

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2020, 20:21 »
Quote from Wellington

"At least yarn is useful, and reusable, tell Mrs Tenhens she’s in good company! "

Good heavens NO !! :lol:  She doesn't need ANY encouragement , she can sniff out a wool shop at a hundred paces. :nowink:.

She did reluctantly donate some surplus stock to a knit and natter group a while back :( I suspect that she has covertly replaced the rehomed  yarns , some may even have found their way back :lol: without me knowing!!

Must get back to checking my seed sock , oops , sorry , meant to type ' stock'.

Wellington

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2020, 21:20 »
We knitters need to stick together, and educate those who live with us about the necessity for yarn.

Page created in 0.163 seconds with 54 queries.