Adopting Battery Hens

• 7 Replies

beth123

• Experienced Member
Adopting Battery Hens
« on: September 03, 2010, 21:43 »
Hi there

I'm new to looking after chickens and was wondering if it would be a good idea to adopt some battery hens.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Re: Adopting Battery Hens
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2010, 21:52 »
It's a great idea but not an easy option.

They come to you with a lot of problems and can be very challenging although very rewarding.

tammyc

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2010, 22:14 »
Hi,

I'm new on here too but I can advise on ex bats  :D

We decided to get some last summer, arranged with the local 'pick up' team to collect 3 girls from Coventry.  Three is the minimum they let you have if you don't already have chickens, because sometimes one dies from stress and they don't want the remaining one to be alone.

When we got them they were quite bald, thin and gasping for breath (stressed)
We took them home, put them in their brand new coop and left them overnight.

When they came out the next day they were bemused by everything, grass, sunshine, wind, EVERYTHING!....you don't realise how much these girls miss out on in the farm.

We bought smallholder Ex batt pellets and started the 'rebuilding' process.  Unfortunately one of ours did die within the first 48 hours due to stress but the other 2 are still with us.

Within a week they were putting themselves to bed, getting out of the rain and coming to us when we called them, very friendly.

I would definatley recommend getting ex bats, friendly, funny and good for the kids to collect eggs from (if you have kids) but unfortunately they don't live quite as long as other hardy hens.  From the advice I've been given tonight on other posts I think my girls laying days are now over but they are still great pets.

Hope this helps with your dilemma! and i've added a photo of the day we got
them :-)

Tammy x
DSC_0396.JPG

tammyc

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2010, 22:18 »
I forgot to add .....because they are in such a poor state you do need to invest in good nutrients for them, poultry spice, ACV or Lifeguard for their water and make sure they get a good supply of grit for shells :-)  - mine also get marmite on bread once a week!

They are a bit more hard work than just buying POL because you are constantly trying to get them to their best but when you see them at their worst and then at their best it is great to see

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2010, 15:16 »
another thing to remember is to make sure their perch is not very high (and the same goes for their coop) as they can have very brittle bones and injur themselves jumping. Also as they are not used to perching they may need to be taught how to  :).
Good luck with them should you decide on exbatts, I have 4 and now think only 1 is laying but the others are still going strong bossing all the other chickens around  :D.
One of the first things to do is to find a poultry friendly vet and get your girls registered with them for when you need to seek medical help.
Staffies are softer than you think.

Flowerpower136

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2010, 10:28 »
I have ex batts and love them to bits!  If in doubt talk to you local rehoming person.  I initially thought of taking 3, then cleared their patch of the garden and realised it was bigger than I thought.  Talked it through with our coordinator who said why not take 6.  Then on rehoming day got talked into taking 8.  We sadly lost Alice after 9 months, but the other 7 are still here enjoying a happy and busy retirement at the bottom our our garden.

Started off with average 6 eggs a day!!! Now I suppose 2 or 3.  Most of the problems you will have will be egg related.  We've had lots of worries over soft shelled eggs and all the associated traumas (for them and me).

Having said that, I think I've been lucky.  Mine do seem to be a relatively healthy bunch.  Though it took almost a full 12 months for Tilly to get her feathers back.  Now fully feathered and looking amazing!  Unbelievable transformation.

Wilma, we think, is 'on the turn'.  She's been trying to have her wicked way with Amber for some time.  I thought it just a dominance thing!  But, now she's experimenting with early morning crowing.  So, she might have to be renamed William.

They each have their own character, with their individual little ways, likes and dislikes.  They will have you wrapped round their tiny toes in no time at all.

They are a true joy.  :D

tammyc

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2010, 18:19 »
 :lol:

Wilma->William - thats funny!!

Flowerpower136

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2010, 10:09 »
:lol:

Wilma->William - thats funny!!

I know!  But won't be funny for the neighbours if he/she developes a full range of early morning cock-a-doodling! :wacko:  Before I got the girls, I checked with the neighbours to make sure no one objected, and promised faithfully that they were all hens and there would no crowing.  Ooops! :wub:

xx
Ex battery hens

Started by smud6ie on Chicken Chat

1 Replies
Last post March 11, 2011, 13:00
by lightyears
xx
Ex Battery hens

Started by druidswoods on Chicken Chat

5 Replies
Last post August 20, 2013, 21:52
by waliz
xx
treatment of battery hens

Started by hen-night on Chicken Chat

7 Replies
Last post March 14, 2012, 21:31
by hen-night
xx
the Battery Hens are here, the 1st pics

Started by storme37 on Chicken Chat

18 Replies
Last post August 20, 2011, 23:14
by storme37

Page created in 0.131 seconds with 37 queries.