Cleaning advice for confused newbies please!

• 8 Replies

The Norfolk Turkey

• Experienced Member
Cleaning advice for confused newbies please!
« on: February 13, 2011, 15:27 »
House and run, check
Accessories, check
Food supplies etc, check
Little bit of knowledge (albeit clearly dangerous) check!
Cleaning/disnfecting - absolutely no idea!!
We are going to be using cozy coop when our 4 ladies arrive next month, but having read around just about everywhere cant decide what should be included in good hygiene routine. We're planning on using Stalosan, does this need to be used 'instead of' or 'as well as'?
We were recommended Battle's Black, but we also have cats, for whom it isnt recommended!
Any comments hugely appreciated!

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Re: Cleaning advice for confused newbies please!
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2011, 15:31 »
No idea about cleaning products like that but I know many others will be along to help you.

If you had an eglu like me I would tell you just to use water with a few drops of washing up liquid  ;)

AL Hathaway

• Experienced Member
  • I Love Chicken TV
    • Five Valleys Poultry
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2011, 18:32 »
we use Fam 30 and hemexsan in a slurry for the perches and corners in the Wood coop last about a month then will retreat when needed.

I use the hemexsan in the run as well and in the dust bath, nest boxes, coop floor, we clean the coop once a month in the winter and every two weeks in the summer .

For the lice and ticks and what ever else they might get on them we use Front line. But there is a cheaper one out there I cant remember the name atm sorry I sure hill footer or joyful will know

This is what my hubby and I find works for us and our flock of 26 and counting. I'm sure you will get a lot more Ideas from others that will post.
“We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel_Kant

Casey76

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2011, 08:01 »
Honestly, I think people are far too hung up on theis regular disinfecting business!

I have never disinfected my coops, nor have I ever used anything in them other than bedding (linseed, shavings or aubiose), which is removed once a week.

I have never lost a bird to illness.

However... I'm in France, and we really don't have the range of poultry prodcts available like you do in the UK!

Certainly during the winter I wouldn't use poultry shield in a coop, as it soaks the wood.  you could, however, use stalosan F which is a dry powder.  It will also help to sweeten the bedding if you choose to poo pick and then do  "deep clean" less frequently.

orchardlady

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2011, 11:00 »
Have a look at this post by hillfooter. Very clear.

OL

D

• Experienced Member
  • Bella
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2011, 12:38 »
I agree with Casey. I only replace the bedding every week. I've only washed the coop out two or three times in the summer and that was hen I was battling with mites. I only used some cheap home brand jeyes stuff anyway.

orchardlady

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2011, 20:28 »

Craig69

• Experienced Member
  • Kinder - Cadbury & Little One ~ Newton Abbot
    • Jellyfish Window Cleaning
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2011, 09:29 »
I have 1 coop with 3 girls & give it a complete clean out about once a month now.
I poo pick every 3 days in the coop & clear outside maybe twice a week.
I use wood chip in the coop & just add to it when needed after poo picking.
On a full clean i have started using "Total Mite-Kill powder" on the floor before the new wood chip goes down, then a light dusting over the wood chip once laid.
If the girls are near me, they will get a quick dusting also much to their disgust  :D

In the summer i use "Poultry Shield" in the coop & "Jayes Fluid" on the slabs outside.

It depends how many birds you have, to how often you will have to clean them out.
It is personal preference if you want to keep them spotlessly clean as people are different.

After cleaning them it all goes in a small bin & thrown onto the compost heap or straight onto the plot.

Sassy

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2011, 08:53 »
I have never used a disenfectant product for my hens. I do use Stalosan for my ducks, quail and horses. I put it on the base of the coop/stable/floor and put bedding on top - you need to minimise dust. There is another product called Biodry that looks good but I have not tried it. This is supposed to soak up moisture and may be cheaper than Stalosan. :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

xx
Newbies looking for advice

Started by steevc on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post October 17, 2009, 23:43
by Rubellite
xx
Cleaning advice please

Started by GerryOB on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post July 11, 2010, 21:16
by grumpydad
xx
Newbies

Started by RICH_Chicken on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post August 19, 2012, 12:39
by joyfull
xx
Newbies need help

Started by Steve and Julie on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post March 29, 2009, 20:42
by Steve and Julie

Page created in 0.222 seconds with 39 queries.