problem with chicks

• 4 Replies

themagicaltoad1

problem with chicks
« on: September 18, 2011, 14:44 »
I have 3 chicks that I bought at the same time, a welsummer which is about 9 weeks old and 2 RIR's which are about 6 weeks old. I've just switched them to growers pellets. The chicks have their own coop and run but I'm still bringing them in at night as it's so cold. During the day I let my older girls free range in the garden and have just started letting the chicks out with them. There is no aggression from the big ones towards the chicks and the bold little b***ers even run in and nick the grapes from the beaks of the older ones, (they must have a death wish considering how my girls love their grapes). They spend a lot of time going into the big run while it's left open and have investigated the other coop, complete with 2 broody's. I feel that they would be ok being put in with the older girls but the problem I have is their food. How would I ensure they are eating the growers not the layers pellets and vice versa for the older hens? Or should I still continue to keep them separate? Any advice?

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: problem with chicks
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2011, 15:14 »
I keep my young ones seperate in the mornings then let them mix later in the day - this ensures they get enough of their correct food. If your chicks feed is medicated then do not let the older girls eat any.
Staffies are softer than you think.

themagicaltoad1

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2011, 16:00 »
I made sure I didn't buy medicated just in case the older ones got to eat it. It's just a bit of a pain catching them each night to bring them inside, whereas I think they would be warm enough with the others in the big coop. I've just checked on them and they are happily eating the layers pellets in the big run!

Casey76

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2011, 07:24 »
At 6 and 9 weeks they should certainly be feathered enough to stay outside all night now!

If you keep bringing them in they will never get acclimated, especially with the colder weather starting to come in now.

themagicaltoad1

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2011, 08:13 »
I was just a bit worried as the temp dropped very suddenly at night over the last week, almost cold enough for a ground frost. The one night I did try leaving them in the coop I found them huddled in a corner shivering the next morning so started bringing them in again. They do go out first thing when it's still very brisk. I'll feel happier when they're in with the others, it's just the problem of the food at the minute.

xx
problem chicks

Started by shaunie on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post January 23, 2009, 15:44
by andreadon
xx
i have a problem with some of my chicks need help asap or she might die

Started by famerboy on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post June 25, 2012, 11:53
by rileyfin
xx
problem chicks - update

Started by shaunie on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post January 23, 2009, 20:15
by karlooben
xx
What age can chicks be mixed with other chicks with no bother?

Started by gracie on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post April 26, 2011, 07:53
by gracie

Page created in 0.21 seconds with 35 queries.