Salty bacon

• 16 Replies

Steveharford

Re: Salty bacon
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2014, 06:35 »
Thanks for the tips Mrs Bee. I will wash it thoroughly today. For a first attempt it was very successful.  Completing the full 12 hr smoke without going out. I can see how just a slight dampness would affect that though so will dry it as you suggest for future smokes. Maybe also store it in a biscuit tin or similar to keep dry. The breakfast bacon was really nice. Perhaps a bit sweet for me but my wife was very impressed. I will be cutting the sugar back from 50:50 on the next one though as that will better suit my taste.

Mrs Bee

Re: Salty bacon
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2014, 10:15 »
Your bacon sounds good. ;)

I want to have a go at that but at the moment I am doing stuff for my son's wedding.

And I am working on perfecting the smoked salmon. I don't like it too salty and have been experimenting with the length of time I leave it in the cure.
It says that you should aim to get a 20% reduction in weight after salting so I leave it in the salt for the shorter time and then put it in the  dehydrator with no heat to get it to the correct weight reduction.

A good thing to do when you are doing any smoking or curing is to keep a notebook and write down exactly what you do each time because it is 'ods law that you will do something that results in something that is awesomely delicious and you will forget exactly what you did and won't be able to replicate it. :lol:

xx
salty chutney

Started by chrissie B on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

5 Replies
Last post December 20, 2009, 21:25
by sunshineband
sad
Salty Pickles

Started by CarolynAnne on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

1 Replies
Last post September 18, 2011, 07:40
by New shoot
xx
Smoking Bacon

Started by ladyrose on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

3 Replies
Last post October 30, 2012, 20:41
by Mrs Bee
xx
Dry cure for bacon

Started by carl on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

5 Replies
Last post October 23, 2013, 18:48
by carl

Page created in 0.141 seconds with 38 queries.