Electrical problems in threes...

• 11 Replies

Growster...

Electrical problems in threes...
« on: April 27, 2020, 10:41 »
Could someone - anyone, please chuck a busted light-bulb at us, as we have had our second electrical calamity in a few days...

Last week, the poo-tank pump went on the blink, but I could mend that...

Now the electrical timer box which controls the immersion heaters has packed up, and we have no hot water..:0(

Any old electrical thing will do, an old toaster, a radiogram (?), even a bust PC, but I need to know what's happening next to make up the third issue...

I thank you from the bottom of our meter cupboard, where I may stay for some time...:0~

Goosegirl

Re: Electrical problems in threes...
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2020, 11:28 »
I know how you feel and my heart really goes out to you.  :unsure:
1) A while ago my trusty washing machine developed an unfixable fault, however I had it insured so they gave me a new one.
2) Our immersion heater timer went bust so our trusty electrician down the lane disconnected the timer but hasn't been back to put a new on in so I have to do it manually.
3) Our leccy supply keeps tripping out and, apart from swans occasionally flying into the overhead wires and the recent gales forcing rain under the roof tiles and down onto the electric cable to the bedroom, it's something that's a real pain in the bum as we can't get it fixed at the moment.
 4) I had trouble receiving and sending emails until I realised I'd done a new password and hadn't changed it in when I was logging on. I thought I'd got that sorted out as emails were too-ing and fro-ing as per usual but my PC still shoves a little window at the bottom right keeps saying my BT account is out of date. I'm all paid up so it's not that.
5) My printer started playing up as some lines are a little bit disjointed and sometimes it won't print my daily Guardian crossword ( :ohmy:) so I have to switch it off then back on again.
 6) My DVD recorder suddenly decided it wasn't going to record anything as it wouldn't display any TV channels and hadn't updated the clock for summer time.  Despite trying every possible way to overcome it (re-tuning the TV, rung our man who put a new aerial up who said it's telling you it's on its way out) I ordered a new one but haven't a clue how to connect it and get it working so will have to wait until after the lock-down so my nephew-in-law can set it up. 
7) Last week I was happily on this forum when my internet connection went AWOL and my router was showing an orange light. Having checked all my leads etc, had yet another glass of wine, banged my head on my desk, had a mega hissy fit tantrum, went for a snooze and guess what! It came back on again.  :blush:
You seem to have been better behaved than me so I sincerely hope you have no more problems.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Growster...

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2020, 12:13 »
Blimey, Goosey, you've got loads more problems than we have - I'll share if you like...

Another item which has gone on the blink in the last month or so, is the Stick Rechargeable Hoover, which has just packed up after only two and a half years, so I've just bought a new one online.

Mrs Growster has just had a call back from the electrician, to say he'll be with us in an hour, so that's pretty good service already - let's hope he can fix it... he did several years ago!

:0~

mrs bouquet

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2020, 12:24 »
It seems that modern day electrical/ white goods are not meant to last.   But ask somebody who has had their vacuum for 25 years and they tell you it is as good as new ! 
I live in a permanent state of anxiety about what will go wrong next.  :ohmy:  Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

Growster...

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2020, 12:40 »
It seems that modern day electrical/ white goods are not meant to last.   But ask somebody who has had their vacuum for 25 years and they tell you it is as good as new ! 
I live in a permanent state of anxiety about what will go wrong next.  :ohmy:  Mrs Bouquet

That's a sad situation you describe, Mrs B - it does seem as though we're caught between a rock and a hard place whenever things just don't work, and the only way is to buy another one! I tried to mend the Hoover, but couldn't get anything out of it :0(

I always try and help out people in situations which need a bit of carpentry, some basic mechanical stuff etc, but can't even do that at the moment, as I'm not allowed out, so when it comes down to rechargeable things, I just don't know what to do with it all!

Fingers crossed for a repair anyway, and glass still half-full:0)

mrs bouquet

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2020, 16:59 »
It is annoying when things grind to a halt, and what is even worse, how to dispose of the old one.   The amenity tips seem to be the only way to go, which is ok and ours (when it re-opens) the guys are really helpful and always empty my car out for me.    But sometimes the said broken radiogram,  :lol: or tv and some of the stuff is too heavy for me to lift  :wub:  Mrs Bouquet

Growster...

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2020, 20:15 »
If I was anywhere near you, Mrs B, I'd be down there like a shot! Hug, lots of tea, another hug and a boot full of stuff to get rid of for you!

If we could localise this site where we all chat as chums, although many miles from each other, a near helping hand would be so easy if we knew a chum so close by.

I could easily pop by and help if I lived a couple of miles away, but it just can't happen, I'm two hours from Worthing..:0(

Check out the others here, who seem to be from West Sussex. There just maybe someone who can help!

Stay well, you, we're all out for you! x

Goosegirl

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2020, 12:54 »
Growster, get a re-chargeable Dyson and you'll never look back. My corded one became a bit heavy to use so OH told me to get a cordless one and if it didn't do the job he'd pay for it so how could I refuse? Best thing I ever did! I have the Dyson Cyclone VI 10 Total Clean and wouldn't be without it.

MB. I wish I could hold your hand and give you a big GG hug but I can't hug anyone at the moment. May I suggest you just be a naughty girl and treat yourself to something, because at this time of crisis we all need to forget diets, the occasional guilty éclair, using an expensive bubble-bath for a good night's sleep which would help you to have a much-needed rest. All I ask is for you to stop fretting because we're all here for you and always will be. Why? Because we love you to bits!

Growster...

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2020, 14:12 »
Nice one, Goosey!

Here's a clap for Mrs B - CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP...

We've gone an' ordered a stick cleaner (Black and Decker - from Currys) online, as the 'upstairs' vacuum is a bit too heavy these days, although it's strong enough to pull the nails from the floorboards...

Would you believe, that only three hours after ringing the electrician, he was here, and had fixed the problem as well! (Busted thermostat on one heater blade, which tripped the other immersion)!

All is well now, and the water is so hot, I've just scalded my fingers washing-up...

Small price to pay I suppose!

Goosegirl

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2020, 12:43 »
Have you thought about turning the thermostat down because your next leccy bill might just take the roof off your pension savings! MB, I'll email you a poem wot I roted that might just give you some comfort. GG xxx

Growster...

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2020, 14:56 »
The thermostat is the size of a matchhead, hidden in a dark cupboard, behind the tank which is inaccessible to the smallest midget...

I really would like to prefer the water to be hot rather than luke-warm, which is what it was before we had the thing mended!

The bill for electricity isn't really affected too much as it's Econ 7, so cheapo!

Looking forward to the poem of course!

Goosegirl

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2020, 10:45 »
Growster, I need MB's help as I emailed her via the Forum so haven't got it on paper. MB, are you there and can you email me back so Growster can read it?

xx
Problems getting to sleep? No more...

Started by mumofstig on Chatting on the Plot

7 Replies
Last post January 22, 2022, 23:44
by comfreykid
xx
major problems with pc

Started by rowlandwells on Chatting on the Plot

7 Replies
Last post November 02, 2022, 15:37
by rowlandwells
xx
Banking problems

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

16 Replies
Last post May 22, 2023, 22:08
by Growster...

Page created in 0.185 seconds with 50 queries.