Tomato Growbags

• 9 Replies

mikeimp

Tomato Growbags
« on: February 18, 2012, 09:33 »
Looking to buy some growbags for our tomatoes in the greenhouse this year.We have found quite a variety in quality. Anyone found a consistent quality and where do you find it thats at a good price.

compostqueen

Re: Tomato Growbags
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2012, 10:19 »
Your local allotment association will have them. They will be of good quality and at the right price  :)  Find your nearest one now and make yourself a member, you possibly don't need to have a plot there to join)

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2012, 11:01 »
Obviously if you can take up CQ's suggestion that would probably be the best bet, but if not, just avoid the really cheap, skinny ones - you will be forever watering and feeding them without ever being quite sure whether you have got it right or not!

The plumper tomato growbags are a much better bet, but last year I found them to be dearer than "special offer" full-sized bags of multi-purpose, so I used them instead.

It's quite possible they don't contain the same mix of nutrients as the purpose-bought type, but I reckoned that given that you start feeding the toms with special tom fertiliser anyway once they start to set fruit it shouldn't make a great difference overall.

Seemed to work OK for me, anyway.  :)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Plot 6B

• NRAA Website
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2012, 11:10 »
All good replies but don't forget you can increase your growing depth by using a bottomless flower pot and filling that with additional compost after you have inserted that into the grow bag.
The fruits of success come from hard work!
A.K.A. Nige2plots

Axe

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2012, 11:16 »
glad i seen this...i was about to go to aldi and buy 20 bags for £30 lol

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2012, 11:30 »
glad i seen this...i was about to go to aldi and buy 20 bags for £30 lol

At the end of the day, as N2P has pointed out, it's all about providing sufficient depth for the plants to be happy and also provide a reasonable reservoir of water and nutrients so that they're not subjected to too many variations in that department.

It's therefore also about how much "stuff" you get for your money - you could consider using two cheap ones on top of each other, although you would have to cut out large windows in each pair of bags and then put them "face to face" (Hmmm.......  :unsure:)

(Should have mentioned that whatever you use remember to poke a few drainage holes in and near the bottom of the bags with a skewer to make sure they don't get waterlogged.)

mattwragg94

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2012, 11:47 »
last year i bought levingtons tomato growbags (society got them cheap because they sent the wrong growbags), i was really impressed with the quality of the compost. like the others have said you might think all growbags are the same - but in most cases the very cheap have plastic and rubble mixed in with the compost.

thanks
matt

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2012, 12:05 »
I dispute that most of the cheaper ones have plastic and rubble in them, Matt.  What's your evidence for that contention?

Back to the original question, I've seen some people cut them in half across the middle, and turn the open middle upwards so that the bag is now stood on its end (if that makes any sense).  Basically making 2 'pots' out of them.  As previously stated, don't forget the drainage.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

mattwragg94

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2012, 12:17 »
my evidence is that i have bought cheaper grow bags in the past as well as other members of my family have, and when opening the bag found the compost in poor condition and with bits of rubble mixed in with it, once i even found glass mixed in with the contents. i personally believe that if you have the money go with a well known brand, i mean if your a member of an allotment/horticultural society there not a lot more than the cheap bags.

i wasn't trying to affend yorkie i was just replying from personal experiance as mikeimp asked.

having said that tho if your on a budget id recomend the b&q growbags (around £1.50), however they sell out fast, and thats why i bought the levingtons growbags last year ar £2.50 per bag.

Totty

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2012, 20:16 »
You get what you pay for. I would always advise to get the best that is reasonably affordable for you and not to scrimp. Its part of gardening to save money by using things that would be rubbish to some people in order to make something that will save you money, but when it comes to the medium for the plants to grow in i think you should get the best you can. I have been using either Levingtons or Vitax for a few years growing the toms in large pots. Both have been excellent

xx
TOMATO SEEDLINGS~CAN THEY BE PLACED IN GROWBAGS NOW?

Started by jazzbyrd on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 17, 2010, 12:37
by Kristen
xx
Growbags

Started by sandygreen on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 21, 2012, 20:28
by Ice
xx
Anyone used B&M's growbags before?

Started by Bigrich on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post February 02, 2015, 18:44
by alancas
xx
Growbags

Started by garddwr on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 15, 2010, 10:39
by upert

Page created in 0.299 seconds with 38 queries.