The runner bean saga update

• 6 Replies

Beetroot queen

The runner bean saga update
« on: June 05, 2013, 17:54 »
Well we failed brilliantly with runners this year.

We sowed about 100 to start, all failed came up with weird leaves some with leaves, some without, some with funny shapes etc etc

Changed compost and re-sowed another 100 poor germination and the same result but took longer to appear.

Yorkie sent me some seeds which went in the day they arrived, nothing till yesterday and today.  :lol: finally we have beans. Lovely looking too. All uniformed and well behaved.

Problem being hubby thought we'd have none so brought  100 odd plants lol, so now we have hundreds and I mean hundreds as I sowed everything yorkie sent  :wub:

But At least we may have a few barrow loads to chutney  :nowink:

I can't believe we had such an awful start with the runners this year.

seaside

Re: The runner bean saga update
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2013, 19:47 »
I've tasted today  for the first time some runner bean chutney that I purchased yesterday from the exceedingly good weekly Hatherleigh market near Okehampton. I have to say it was delicious and a friend reckoned there was cinnamon and nutmeg in it. Do you have a recipe BQ as I intend to give this chutney a go myself.

Beetroot queen

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2013, 19:48 »
I've tasted today  for the first time some runner bean chutney that I purchased yesterday from the exceedingly good weekly Hatherleigh market near Okehampton. I have to say it was delicious and a friend reckoned there was cinnamon and nutmeg in it. Do you have a recipe BQ as I intend to give this chutney a go myself.

I posted it the other day but ...... The question is where. Mine doesn't have nutmeg and cinnamon in though

seaside

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2013, 20:00 »
That's ok BQ. I've found one in the recipe section. Also no cinnamon or nutmeg, just turmeric and mustard. I think I'll use the basic idea and add a bit of grated nutmeg. Best be careful as I was also told today too much nutmeg can be dangerous. I don't think my grandmother knew that with the amount she heaped onto her junket. :)

Beetroot queen

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2013, 20:02 »
That's ok BQ. I've found one in the recipe section. Also no cinnamon or nutmeg, just turmeric and mustard. I think I'll use the basic idea and add a bit of grated nutmeg. Best be careful as I was also told today too much nutmeg can be dangerous. I don't think my grandmother knew that with the amount she heaped onto her junket. :)

The turmeric and mustard sound familiar, try it as it is, it's a lovely chutney and keeps for years and years. Hubby has been known to eat it 9 years later and he said it was like the year it was made. Probably not recommended these days but"............ He survived.

Mark's Sussex Allotment

• 38 year old male, Married father of two
    • Mark's Sussex Allotment
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2013, 20:18 »
9 years later!

I'm guessing there's preservatives? Lol
When weeding, the best way to know if its a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull it.

If it comes out easy, it was a valuable plant !

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2013, 21:43 »
Glad to hear you have some beans  :lol:
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

xx
Last yrs runner bean update

Started by Fat Hen on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 04, 2007, 23:42
by John
xx
is a string bean a runner bean? and a harricot bean a butter bean?

Started by KingEdward on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post March 27, 2009, 14:06
by Ice
xx
French bean & Runner bean timing advice..

Started by jsgreen89 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 08, 2011, 22:18
by Ice
xx
Runner beans - flower colour - UPDATE

Started by willnbirdie on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 03, 2008, 20:27
by gobs

Page created in 0.318 seconds with 31 queries.