Seems to be EYP- what outcomes?

• 3 Replies

Karhog

Seems to be EYP- what outcomes?
« on: March 05, 2012, 14:00 »
I have posted previously about Bertha and she has now completed her A/B-she is much better but not 100%. I am almost certain now that the vet I took her to probably was right and that she may have EYP as I have now noticed her passing the odd 'lash' type substance.
I had a good poke and prod in one this morning and it does appear to be 'scrambled eggy'- she is not swollen or walking penguin like.
What should I do as I fear the prognosis isn't good- I have researched online and seen people do hysterectomys, hormone treatment etc (often unsuccessfully) Also- the fact that she is passing this 'eggy substance'- is that good as it means she is getting rid of the nastiness?
Do I take her back to the vet to see if anything can be done? - Or do I wait to see what happens and if/when she declines deal with things then? She seems happy and well at the moment apart from a messy bum and generally being slower, she is pecking and scratching round the garden so I believe still has good quality of life.
It breaks my heart to think I may lose her but obviously I need to do whats right for her

sneezer

• Experienced Member
Re: Seems to be EYP- what outcomes?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2012, 14:52 »
Hi I had an ex-free range hen and she was never completely right, she had a course of A/B for EYP then she perked up, she then wasn't right again took her back to vet I thought she would be PTS but vet said try her again on A/B, again worked for a while, she remained top hen throughout and she was a lovely character, but I had to make the decision in the end enough was enough, it didn't seem fair to her, she had gunky stuff coming out aswell not nice, its a tough decision to make and I would always give them a fighting chance but you will know when the time is right, good luck with your girl it sounds as if you are a caring owner and she is  well looked after :(

helens-hens

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2012, 15:23 »
Would you be able to take a picture of one of these 'lashes' and post it on this forum? Just thinking that experienced owners will probably have seen one (I haven't) and may be able to tell you definately if it is or not.

You say it looks a bit like scrambled egg so I am wondering if she is passing soft shelled eggs. When she was laying softies last year, 1 of my hens Harriet, sometimes used to pass shell which looked a bit like a bit of wet, scrunched up tissue paper  :ohmy:. Thats the best way I can describe it, it was the same colour as her shells so I can only assume it was that.

She may yet get to be 100% again, just keep a close eye on her. Also, though I assume she has access to oyster shell, has she had any other calcium supplement to boost her levels?
Helen

Karhog

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2012, 15:49 »
Hi, thanks for the positive replies- I am not too good at posting pics but will take one next time she passes and see if my O/H can do it!
She has laid soft shells in the past but these are of a more rubbery and smooth and range in size and shape - when I cut into one it really did seem like an overdone scrambled egg inside. It is a pale yellow colour as well which makes it seem even more 'eggy'
She free ranges when I am at home but has constant access to her pellets (ex bat) and water. As all chooks are ex bat they do seem prone to thin/soft shell eggs so I do add limestone flour to their pellets wvery so often.
I scatter the oyster shell in the run (by the food) and randomly around the garden so I guess she takes it when she needs to.

Page created in 0.224 seconds with 39 queries.