Very noisy Hen!!

• 12 Replies

honeysuckle farm

Very noisy Hen!!
« on: June 09, 2009, 12:31 »
One of our hens (a Bluebelle) has taken to sitting on top of the hen house and crowing very loudly first thing in the morning when I open the pop-hole.  The other hens don't do it.  I have to leave very early (6.15am) in the morning for work and with the light mornings she can't wait to get out!  I have tried leaving the pop-hole open (the house is in a pen) but she just comes out on her own and starts crowing at 4am!

I have had her about a year and she has only started doing it last month or so.  If she didn't lay such great eggs every day, I'd swear she was a rooster!!

Last night our neighbours came round to complain about being woken up every morning.  Has anyone else had any similar problems.  Does anyone know a good way to discourage her noisy behaviour?

Thanks

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Very noisy Hen!!
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2009, 12:33 »
I did read on here about a week ago about a hen turning into a rooster  :ohmy:
Staffies are softer than you think.

honeysuckle farm

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2009, 12:37 »
How weird!! I hope not!....she's my best layer.  We've had an egg every day without fail since we got her.

Flowerpower136

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2009, 13:32 »
Oh no!  I didn't know hens did that.  Is it normal?

I'm in close consultation with my neighbour re setting up our run and coop (she's as excited as me, I think we might have to share), but she did say she did not want waking up at 5.30 am.

I've assured her, hand on heart, she won't hear a peep, because we won't be having a cockerel...............Ooops :ohmy:

mad mark

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2009, 13:36 »
Mine are very noisy in the shed they are in as soon as they hear the back door go and the garage door go up for me to put my wellies on. They go beserk until I open the pop hole and if I am cleaning up abit and filling the water bottle up they go mental tapping on the door to get out. I dont tend to be up till 6.30am to let them out so at the moment its barmey with the longest day nearing....... My neighbour is okay its my brother so I bribe him with eggs, though he has two young sons who are up before the chickens most days.
 8)
Mad Mark

too many girls

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2009, 16:45 »
mine fall off their perches trying to see out of the window to see who's coming to let them out :D

c3

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2009, 17:18 »
our silkie has just started to do that, although not every day, thank goodness, he is threating to wring its neck on sat, so have to find her a new home as we live in a very built up area and this is not good, so if anyone wants a silkie let me know.
always remember when life hands you lemons, ask for tequila and salt and call me over!!

mears

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2009, 17:27 »
i have bluebelles x2 not had them long also have  a black sussex and a speckledy .the bluebelles by far are the smartest the bravest and the cutest .they now squat down to let me stroke them as they know i cant resist giving a bit of corn for the pleasure they climb the most are the most destructive and see of the others for food but i adore them ,one in particular is very noisy but touch wood ive had no complaints  :)

too many girls

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2009, 17:27 »
oh too far, i love my silkies.

Foxy

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2009, 17:28 »
our silkie has just started to do that, although not every day, thank goodness, he is threating to wring its neck on sat, so have to find her a new home as we live in a very built up area and this is not good, so if anyone wants a silkie let me know.

C3 why dont you pop a thread in "Swop Shop?" if you add a photo that might help your lad find a new home :)

c3

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2009, 18:44 »
thanks will do,although had problems when tried to post photos before.  fingers crossed

chickenlady

• Happychooks Blog
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2009, 20:05 »
my girls all started doing their ive laid an egg call at 5.30 am the other morning! when i went out to shut them up none of them were in the nest box they were all just sitting along the perches still (probably laughing their little heads off at getting me up at that time  >:() I really fret about the noise as although we live in a very rural village with a field across the road that have cattle a sheep in, we have a certain neighbour who says "no! we dont mind country noises" but probably moan like hell behind our backs!!????
thinks her guardian angel`s gone on strike !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mountainvicar

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2009, 20:29 »
Im not a hen expert...

such behaviou can just be the head hen aserting her authoriy

but if momory serves, male carictureistics can develop in hens as a result of a hormone inblance, posable cused by an overy incection or an overy cist. As well as the morning call, there can be a more masculin comb and wattel, somtimes masculin plumidge and the hen may even try to mount the other hens (!).

I don't think it is very common but somthing to watch out for
« Last Edit: June 09, 2009, 21:02 by mountainvicar »

xx
How noisy?

Started by Glen on The Hen House

20 Replies
Last post March 27, 2008, 14:21
by Kazoo
xx
noisy hen

Started by LadyPlod on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post May 04, 2008, 11:46
by LadyPlod
xx
noisy hen

Started by Shazzer on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post December 11, 2007, 10:01
by Shazzer
xx
So noisy

Started by slowef on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post April 19, 2007, 07:03
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.233 seconds with 36 queries.