Blimmin escape artists!

• 8 Replies

Casey76

Blimmin escape artists!
« on: February 08, 2011, 06:30 »
I spent hours on Sunday carefully constructing a covered run with inches of beautiful dry flax and hemp bedding for my new Sabelpoot (well at least until I can get the permanent pens up)

I got home last night, in the pitch dark as I had a late meeting.  I went to close up the main coop and there he is... all snuggled up with the girls!  So much for quarantine  :ohmy: :tongue2:

At least I know that all show birds have to be vaccinated, so it's not too much of a worry, but still...

Little b*gger had forced open the "gate" I made myself for easy access to the pen... oh, and the 3ins of flax bedding... spread over about 10sq m of the pen  :mad:  doesn't he realise I'm doing all of this to protect his foot feathers???

Consequently I was out ther this morning at 6:30 strapping eveything together with cabel ties... hopefully that'll keep him in - at least until the weekend when I can build a more permanent run for him!

min200

• adayinthelifeofmin
Re: Blimmin escape artists!
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2011, 08:07 »
You do know he will be back in with the girls once you get home again dont you!

He will find a way!  :lol: :lol:

Casey76

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2011, 08:17 »
I have a feeling the girls will be helping to find a way out, knowing my hooligans!

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2011, 10:08 »
over hear the show birds don't have to be vaccinated (which means a quarantine period after each show).
As Min said now he has found the ladies there will be no stopping him - perhaps he should be called Houdini  ;)
Staffies are softer than you think.

Casey76

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2011, 10:46 »
Sorry, yes, for newcomers... I live in France, and the rules are slightly different than the UK for showing.

All birds have to be vaccinated against Newcastles Disease, and the vaccine is uaully available as a combination with infectious bronchitis.  This is a spray on vaccine and is usually given at the end of summer/autumn at least  4 weeks before the first show, so the birds have immunity but are no longer a risk for shedding live virus.

We don't normally vaccinate against MG.

In the UK, I would always adivise having at least a two week quarantine for any new birds brought into your flock... I had planned this, but unforutnately my new boy decided otherwise!  He is now separated again, and I hope to keep him that way for a while.

jinty1911

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2011, 19:12 »
Maybe he just likes a little cuddle?  :tongue2:  :tongue2:

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2011, 08:38 »
He will be most indignant now then and swearing at you when you get home tonight  :lol:

Casey76

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2011, 08:54 »
He certainly did swear at me last night, as he hasn't quite figured out how to use the ramp to get back to the sleeping quarters, and I had to *shock horror* pick him up *shick horror*

He squealed like a little girl at first, then decided he quite liked having cuddles and settled down again :)

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2011, 18:09 »
That's because he realised the girls were in bed and he could let his softer side show  :lol:  You try it again when they are around  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

xx
escape artists

Started by rachelr on Chicken Chat

10 Replies
Last post March 26, 2011, 12:19
by GrannieAnnie
xx
Hen had a lucky escape

Started by Oliveview on Chicken Chat

8 Replies
Last post November 06, 2010, 20:19
by NormandyMary
xx
The great escape!

Started by Andrew4613 on Chicken Chat

4 Replies
Last post December 28, 2011, 11:49
by LittleRedHen

Page created in 0.125 seconds with 40 queries.