Soft shelled eggs

• 9 Replies

Chuckles

Soft shelled eggs
« on: March 26, 2009, 13:44 »
Help!!!  Advice needed....

My little silkie (flo) is laying soft shelled eggs and I'm worried as I've heard it takes a lot out of them and I'm not sure what to do!  I've been keepin a close eye on her for the last couple of weeks and I'm sure they are caused by a lack of calcium.  I feed them layers pellets but she doesn't seem to be eating them, they also have access to oyster shell which again she doesn't bother with.  What can I do to get her to at least eat the layers pellets... :(

Vember

Re: Soft shelled eggs
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2009, 13:46 »
What else to you feed your girls Chuckles?

Might be an idea to stop all treats even corn and just feed the pellets :)

Also adding some limestone flour to the food(once she's eating it) will help give her some extra calcium :)

Sarah :D

Chuckles

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2009, 14:22 »
I've tried to stop all their treats but it didn't help - she still wouldn't eat the layers pellets!!!  :(  She's always been a picky eater, never really bothered with other treats apart from mixed corn which they only have a little of late afternoon.  They have savoy cabbages, cauliflowers and brocolli hung up...but she rarely takes an interest in these!  :(

raeburg

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2009, 21:22 »
You could try some liquid calcium in their drinking water.  Sold as Calcivet.  My silkies aren't very keen on pellets, preferring to free range in the garden all day.

andreadon

• My Diary
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2009, 22:57 »
maybe you could try her on mash instead?
it's the same formula as pellets, but it might be easier for her to pick up and eat.

other than that you could put nothing in but the chicken food- when she's hungry enough  she'll start eating!

Chuckles

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2009, 09:12 »
Thanks all for the advice...I'm definately going to give the liquid calcium a go in the water and I've got 2 hanging feeders so I'm going to have one with pellets and the others with mash.....I'm sure they'll let me know which they prefer!  And fingers and toes crossed I can get flo eating again.....and no more soft shelled eggs  :) :) :) The other chucks might not be to impressed.... they've been enjoying her egg if they get to it before me...little *!!!   ;)

pushrod

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2009, 10:01 »
How old is she? It is often older birds or the first few eggs of a young bird that are soft.
Crushed old egg shells are not a brilliant source of calcium but it does help and there is usually no problem getting them to eat it.
All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Chuckles

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2009, 12:51 »
Shes only about 10 months old - she had a go at laying last year but only laid for a fortnight, then went broody - typical silkie!!! It was only the first egg she laid that was soft the others were fine.    :)

Do I need to bake the eggs shells first???  :wacko:

raeburg

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2009, 18:56 »
Baking them makes them taste less like eggs :)  Silkies are contrary birds, but adorable.  I've come to the conclusion that Bramble just doesn't do egg laying, although we have had 2 with thin shells but whole this week.  Bracken lays 12 eggs and then goes broody for 3 weeks!

pushrod

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2009, 00:26 »

Do I need to bake the eggs shells first???  :wacko:

no, just crush them in your hands.

xx
soft eggs sorted but now she's eating the hard shelled eggs!!!

Started by wolverine on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post September 19, 2010, 21:23
by orchardlady
question
Soft Shelled Eggs???

Started by leggygirls on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post April 02, 2010, 14:49
by leggygirls
xx
Soft Shelled eggs

Started by janeheritage on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post May 11, 2009, 08:20
by janeheritage
xx
Soft Shelled Eggs

Started by Chook Chook on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post May 21, 2010, 15:55
by Chook Chook

Page created in 0.212 seconds with 35 queries.