• 5 Replies

kopperdrake

• Experienced Member
  • One Step at a Time
    • Merrybower Homestead
Is this Pox?
« on: July 04, 2012, 23:57 »
Hi all,

My cockerel's had this mark on his comb for a week or so, I assumed he'd knocked it, but today he's developed black marks on the rest of his comb - all of a sudden overnight! They're like black dots, about 1-2mm large, and about 20-40 on each side. Is this fowl pox? Any ideas how I can treat it? He shares a coop with 10 hens - should I move him, or is it likely too late and will the rest get it?

Thanks for any advice - I'm likely calling the vet tomorrow, but any advice is really welcome as I'm worried for the flock :(
buffy.jpg

kegs

Re: Is this Pox?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2012, 07:30 »
Not sure to be honest.  It doesn't look like the photo in the article below but I think you are doing absolutely the right thing in contacting a vet immediately (don't let them make you wait).  In the meantime I would separate him.

http://poultrykeeper.com/external-problems/fowl-pox

Good luck today.  :(

jhub

• jane

ehs284

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2012, 08:37 »
Please let us know what the vet has to say.

kopperdrake

• Experienced Member
  • One Step at a Time
    • Merrybower Homestead
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2012, 00:10 »
Well, this is a late follow up, and a rather embarrassing one (for me and for our cockerel), but I thought I would share the happy ending. Having bundled him unceremoniously into a cardboard box and whisked him off to the vets, she took one look at him, grabbed a wet swab and proceeded to wipe the black spots off his comb. She then proclaimed that it was blood spatters from the original wounds, and the most likely reason for the original small wounds? He'd been ritually pecked by his own hens whilst in the coop! Ruddy women! So the poor lad was moved to the 'hospital/broody' coop, about 100 yards away in a separate area near the house, where he stayed and recuperated (re-coop-erated?) on TLC, baytril and Nivea, until one day he decided he was missing his wives and flew over three gates to get back to them. Glutton for punishment!

jhub

• jane
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2012, 00:11 »
 :lol: :lol: :lol:

Page created in 0.208 seconds with 35 queries.