Moss

• 1 Replies

Potty Plotty Lotty

• https://thelazyallotmenteer.wordpress.com/
Moss
« on: June 16, 2018, 13:54 »
For the first year ever I'm having issues with moss on the surface of my modules and small pots that I start my veg in. They are located on a table outside.

Normally I would think that the compost has been too damp. Although this may have been the case earlier in the season when we had a lot of rain, all the new stuff I've planted in the dry weather has the same issue. I really don't feel that I'm over-watering.

Does anyone know how moss is spread? Could it be there are spores in the watering can/plastic trays underneath the pots/compost (it's Jack's Magic)?

I don't really feel that growth has been affected but I am perplexed.  :unsure: :unsure: :unsure:

Any advice appreciated!

Christine

Re: Moss
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2018, 19:20 »
Moss spreads by spores. You aren't going to see them if you have them left around. Apparently they can blow in on the wind, insects can bring spores along too. Seems that moss will grow from bits that break off.

If grass with a bit of moss in is composted then the moss likely won't rot and will just wait to grow when you come to use the compost (there speaks experience). Lots of commercial composts include recycled material and if people have included moss in their garden waste bin and it hasn't been through a hot enough composting system .........

I'm always amazed at places that you can find a bit of moss growing - on things you really wouldn't expect.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 19:21 by Christine »

xx
Not kate moss just moss

Started by Anton on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 30, 2010, 19:02
by Christine
xx
Moss

Started by Deborah1 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post December 01, 2017, 13:26
by Deborah1
xx
Moss ?

Started by Geordie on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post December 31, 2011, 00:49
by viettaclark
xx
Moss

Started by Eblana on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 27, 2018, 09:45
by Eblana

Page created in 0.3 seconds with 39 queries.