Manured Squash?

• 4 Replies

erainn

• Experienced Member
Manured Squash?
« on: May 01, 2011, 10:23 »
So an area of my plot has had some fairly dry and mature manure dug into the soil a couple of weeks ago and I'm now wondering, as its fairly mixed in now, if it's 'safe' to plant into. If so I'm wondering if butternut squash would benefit from such conditions? The seedlings are about 2 inches high, looking healthy and I'm pondering if now's a good day to plant out, or will they need a hardening first?

Appreciate any advice.

fatcat1955

Re: Manured Squash?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2011, 10:32 »
My courgettes and marrows are planted on a mound that was created by digging a 2ft cube of soil out and filling the hole with well rotted manure. The soil is then put on top makind a planting mound. Still a bit early yet, late frost's can kill them off. I wait till the end of may.

Nikkithefoot

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2011, 10:50 »
Where abouts are you in the country? It will help when giving this sort of advice.

I've planted some squash out already as my last frost is allegedly end of April. BUT we had a frost mid may last year which knocked my spuds back AND they are out but covered with mesh cloches as a form of protection against any late frost.

I always keep a couple back inside as a back up plan, but they were planted a couple of weeks after the ones that are out now.
I was put on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things; right now I am so far behind I will never die.

erainn

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2011, 10:54 »
Hi, oooops good point, I'm in Sussex about three miles inland from the coast.

Nikkithefoot

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2011, 11:23 »
I would say you are probably safe to plant them out being so close to the coast. I'm about 5 miles as the crow flies. Having said that I'd listen to the weather forecast and cover 'em up at night until mid May just to be safe.

If you stick your location in your profile it will stop us keep asking you where you are  :)

xx
how manured is manured!!

Started by Ian_A on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post February 24, 2011, 16:09
by Trillium
xx
Newly manured

Started by grenhouse on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post January 17, 2010, 20:44
by Pompey Spud
xx
Manured Soil

Started by erainn on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 20, 2011, 20:42
by erainn
xx
What doesnt like manured ground?

Started by gowing238 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post August 15, 2010, 01:36
by WirralWally

Page created in 0.312 seconds with 28 queries.