Weedy Leeks?

• 10 Replies

ex-cavator

Weedy Leeks?
« on: April 29, 2011, 23:45 »
My lad Matthew has about 60 leeks in two trays that he sowed a couple of months or so ago, I was hoping we could plant them out soon but they're very small & weedy - between 2 - 4" high and not much thicker than cotton, they don't look terribly strong, either.

What should we do to strengthen them up before planting out, or should we just let them take their chances? How long have we got before we have to plant them?  :wub:

Kimberley04

• Experienced Member
  • Very new to all this gardening lark
Re: Weedy Leeks?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2011, 23:56 »
I'm having exactly the same problem.  I don't think they're anywhere near needing to go out yet though.  I was panning to put my leeks in after taking up my spuds, which will be Augustish.

Dan78

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2011, 00:03 »
I have lots of leeks growing in old washing up bowls! They are doing A LOT better than last years but still a while till i plant out. They are about the size of the inside of a biro right now and Im going to start feeding them once a week.

Last year they went out after the earlies came up but this year i have less potatos and more leeks! May have to do the tomatos at home and use that bed!

Paul Plots

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2011, 00:28 »
I've just started giving mine a little feed to fatten them up for planting out at the end of May if all goes to plan.  ;)
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

gazza975526570

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2011, 07:52 »
Mine are the same - are where last year - i didnt put mine out till june i think and even then they where small - still over time they all grew and where probably the best crop i grew last year

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2011, 08:26 »
You may find some comfort (if not actual inspiration!  :unsure:) in this leek-growing thread from last year (we had a bit of a giggle and I think most of us eventually had some leeks as well!)  :)

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=57715.msg678272#msg678272
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

SUTTY1

• Pumpkin Champion 2010 / Super Winner of the Tallest Sunflower Competition 2011
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2011, 08:30 »
Mine arent much bigger yet but will start to give some feed soon. Will plant out mid-late june after lifting 1st early spuds, i usually get a good crop.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2011, 08:38 »
my leeks are not huge, but they do look a bit better than last year :)

Plenty of time still for them to grow cos they won't get dibbed in until the early spuds come out, or the early peas finish...whichever happens first ;)

Gandan57

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2011, 13:58 »
I sowed the seed in a tray then saw the video so I transplanted the seedlings into a plastic trug with holes drilled in the bottom and they now have 5 inches depth of compost. Some are now 9 inches tall and I`ll give them a liquid feed before planting out in two weeks.

I`ll be making holes with an iron bar about a foot deep, after watering the ground the day before so the soil doesn`t keep filling the hole up. Before dropping the leek in I`ll drop in a double hand full of well rotted dung with a little BFB added. Pour in some water with a jug and job done. There may be only an inch or two of leaf showing at this stage.
I`m left handed, what`s your excuse?

Paul Plots

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2011, 15:44 »
I lifted a few of last year's "weedy leeks" a couple of days ago. They were from the last short row and still fine for eating - no tough core yet and not gone to seed.   :happy:

I've never had them last through to April before now normally they've been eated or gone to seed by the end of March. It just goes to show how a very cold winter can slow everything down.... including me.  ::)

They were no great shakes when they went in last year so here's hoping for better this year.

ex-cavator

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2011, 10:51 »
Many thanks for all your helpful replies - I don't feel quite so inadequate now  :lol: You've also answered another question I had - where to put them. My newbie head is so taken up with current growing / planting problems I haven't been able to contemplate succession planning yet - now I know I can stick my leeks where the early spuds have been - not only does that give me plenty of time to fatten them up first, but it's one less bit of ground preparation to worry about  :D

xx
How weedy is your plot?

Started by Lizum on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post September 08, 2011, 18:30
by totalnovice
xx
Weedy asparagus

Started by Lesmiserable on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post April 02, 2020, 11:07
by Hampshire Hog
xx
Peas - really weedy

Started by Middle Eastern Gardener on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post February 26, 2020, 10:16
by jambop
clip
Weedy compost

Started by rogertb on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post May 30, 2022, 09:24
by AnneB

Page created in 0.596 seconds with 40 queries.