Angry over vets bill! (and docs payment!)

• 24 Replies

freebirdy

• I'd rather be insane than boring!
Angry over vets bill! (and docs payment!)
« on: November 08, 2011, 22:40 »
OOOHHH! Some folks! My poor cat Murphy was cornered and savaged by a huge (not got a clue what breed) dog last night. He was out the front of my house, playing with fallen leaves and acting rather stupid (normal for him!) when out of the blue this huge unleashed dog hurtled up the road, chased him down an alley and mauled him! I knew about this as I was sat on my doorstep having a fertive ciggie and saw it all!
I chased the blooming dog down the alley and pulled it off Murphy! I got bitten in the process! My poor cat was covered in slobber, blood and was traumatised! He had puncture wounds and deep lacerations to his back, neck and abdomen.  :(
The owner of the dog sauntered/staggered down the alley and grabbed his dog that was still trying to get to my cat, pulled it away and then carried on walking/zig-zagging  up the road! He didn't even have a leash with him!!
I hollered at him and he basically told me tough ****!
When I said my cat was injured and his dog had bitten me he laughed and said sue me!
He stumbled off into the night leaving me and my cat bleeding!
Emergency trip to the vet for 32 stitches, antibiotic jabs and tranquilisers for Murphy and a visit to the doc for me, tetanus shot and 6 stitches in my hand and arm at A & E  and I'm out of pocket by £210!  :ohmy:
Sooo angry and upset! What if that had been a kiddie? I know it was dark and late but if that drunken man can't control his dog he shouldn't walk it without a leash day OR night!
I'm not a dog hater by any means, i owned and dearly loved a wonderfull rescue dog but some people just make my blood boil with their disregard for others or their pets!
Rant over,  feel a bit better now, all be it a tad sore and out of pocket.  :tongue2: :tongue2: :tongue2:
1 fiance, 3 kids, 1 fish, 1 cat, 9 poland bantams, 6 Barbu de Watermael, 2 allotment plots and not enough time!

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
Re: Angry over vets bill! (and docs payment!)
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2011, 22:47 »
Please report this attack to the Police.  They won't do anything about the attack on the cat but should take the attack on you seriously.  With loads of CCTV everywhere they should be able to track the owner down.
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

freebirdy

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2011, 23:03 »
I live on a secluded road by a canal, open fields and definately no CCTV anywhere near! I have a feeling the man and his dog may be living on a barge moored almost opposite my house as I have never seen him or the dog before! We (locals) have has some damage done by dog/s on our allotment plots in the last couple of weeks, foot prints everywhere, produce ruined and 2 shed break-ins.  :mad: The plots are opposite our houses on the other side of the canal.
I'm keeping poor Murphy in as per vets instuctions. He's loving all the attention, chicken for dinner with white rice and gravy! Purely medicinal of course!!  ::)
He's not having a lot of luck, bless him. In June he took on a fox! That little lot cost me £140!
Guess I will be doing internet search for pet insurance!

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2011, 23:16 »
You should still report it to the Police as the dog could attack another pet or person with a worse outcome.

spottymint

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2011, 06:56 »
Report it.

I'm no dog hater, but any dog who bites humans, should be put down. Full stop.

What if a kiddie (smaller, less able to fight the dog off ect) is next ? won't be 6 stiches for them.

Pity they can't put the moron, that owns the dog, down.

« Last Edit: November 09, 2011, 07:26 by spottymint »

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2011, 08:38 »
Report it.

I'm no dog hater, but any dog who bites humans, should be put down. Full stop.

What if a kiddie (smaller, less able to fight the dog off ect) is next ? won't be 6 stiches for them.

Pity they can't put the moron, that owns the dog, down.

Totally agree - some years ago I was attacked by a dog. The owner was very nice, bought me a new suit as mine was ruined. I didn't want to see the dog put down and just forgot the matter (except I'm still nervous of dogs)

The reason I agree about going to the police is that the dog that got me did indeed go on to maul a child.
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

freebirdy

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2011, 09:02 »
I've taken note of your advice and will be reporting the incident today. I really can't see what the police will be able to do as I've said I have no real idea where the man or his dog actually live.  >:( My hunch is still the barge that moored up a couple of weeks ago. There is definately a dog onboard as I can hear it barking most of the day. In a couple of weeks the barge would have to move on because of mooring regulations.
Murphy is I now think hamming it up a bit. A every given oportunity whenever we get near him he falls over and puts on a pathetic face vying for sympathy! He's not quite sussed that when he doesn't realise we're watching we've clocked him doing all his normal cat things! Lots of bottom licking, mooching on the windowsill lounging around and haring up and down the stairs doing his "carpet surfing" that he's so fond of doing!
He ambushed me from underneath my bed this morning. Lots of frantic paw waving and mewing from the other side of the valance sheet then shot out and raced down the stairs to get his morning fix of a pinch of fish food when I feed the goldfish! Bit of a case of forgotten he's meant to be injured I think!  :wacko:
He's obviously over his attack, unlike me who has a very sore and swollen hand! I was meant to be going digging down the allotments over the next couple of days ready to put in spring greens. Hhrumph! Wont be doing that now will I!?  :(
Ah well, maybe a bit of bribery to fellow plot holders with home made cakes and they might dig the bed for me!!  :lol:
I will go to police station later today once I've done my chicken duties in the garden and popped down the plot via the tow path to see if I recognise the dog that's on the barge! ;)

maxyboo

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2011, 14:42 »
So sorry to hear what's happened. You must be fuming. Glad Murphy is getting over it. It's definitely worth trying to find out if the person on the barge is the same man. This might get the interest of the police, though I agree they probably won't be able to do much. I hope your hand feels better soon.

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2011, 16:51 »
Actually it's quite serious so I hope the police take an interest. I'd rather face a thug with a knife than one with a dog.

Optimistic Gardener

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2011, 17:00 »
You may be interested to know that today on the BBC News website is an article I've just read relating to a case in Scotland where a Judge has today ordered a dog to be put down because of an attack on a cat.  Now Scottish law doesn't always apply in England (I'm not sure what legislation they have used) but interesting reading!

ManicMum

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2011, 18:07 »
One reason for reporting these incidents is that it may boost an ongoing investigation: someone else might have reported something similar &, while each incident on its own gets little time from the police when they are so stretched, a 2nd incident with more info/description might strengthen their case.
ManicMum

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2011, 18:13 »
You may be interested to know that today on the BBC News website is an article I've just read relating to a case in Scotland where a Judge has today ordered a dog to be put down because of an attack on a cat.  Now Scottish law doesn't always apply in England (I'm not sure what legislation they have used) but interesting reading!

It says the legislation used was the 1871 Dogs Act which I don't believe is Scotland-only, through the Scottish courts.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-tayside-central-15660455
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2011, 20:53 »
Yes, the relevant part of the 1871 Dogs Act applies throughout the UK.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

freebirdy

« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2011, 21:16 »
Reported and logged, however I was told (as I suspected) without me actually being able to give a name or address for the owner there is not really much that can be done.  :(
I took a stroll down the towpath on my way to the allotments and passed the barge. There was a dog on board, inside the barge, non stop bleeding barking! So unfortunately I couldn't see if it was the one that got Murphy.
Murph is definately doing better than I am! He did a Houdini this evening and escaped through the blocked off cat flap!!! Half a dozen bricks and a wooden board was obviously not enough to stop a very determined cat!! The last I saw of him was out on the barn roof with mischief written all over his face! Hope he doesn't burst his stitches!!! Can't keep a good cat down eh????:D

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2011, 21:25 »
I'd have thought a policeman could take a look at the barge and see if the dog matches your description.

xx
Not looking forward to the vets bill this month!

Started by Casey76 on Pets without Feathers

7 Replies
Last post July 28, 2012, 20:27
by Yorkie
xx
My Cat Bill playing with a fox cub!

Started by plum crumble on Pets without Feathers

5 Replies
Last post October 19, 2013, 07:22
by joyfull
smiley
Introducing my new gentleman friend Bill

Started by plum crumble on Pets without Feathers

20 Replies
Last post June 17, 2013, 20:25
by Yorkie
xx
dash to the emergency vets.

Started by Hawkins on Pets without Feathers

12 Replies
Last post December 29, 2009, 17:53
by Rubellite

Page created in 0.114 seconds with 29 queries.