Cold frame

• 17 Replies

Brushcutter

• Andrews Decorating
Cold frame
« on: October 31, 2010, 10:27 »
Hi!

I want to buy a cold frame. Im prepared to spend up to £100. I know, i could make one out of an old window but i dont have the time or the inclination right now!
So could you recommend a make/model?

Many thanks

Laurie

Kleftiwallah

Re: Cold frame
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2010, 11:34 »
I cannot think that anyone doesn't have the time to go the the local double glazing business and pick up a removed glass window and pick up a few bricks on the way home!   :mad:  Please send me the £100:00 in a plain envelope !  :D  Cheers,   Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

st0ne5ish

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2010, 11:48 »
I cannot think that anyone doesn't have the time to go the the local double glazing business and pick up a removed glass window and pick up a few bricks on the way home!   :mad:  Please send me the £100:00 in a plain envelope !  :D  Cheers,   Tony.

Very funny  :D

Brushcutter

• Andrews Decorating
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2010, 13:00 »
I knew id get a response like that! Thanks for your constructive help all the same  :tongue2::nowink:

Believe it or not i had thought about the window option but came to the folowing conclusions.
old sash route: heavy, probably half rotten to begin with, requires maintenance to stop it from falling to bits, thin glass is very easy to break, takes time to pick one up from freecycle, then make a frame etc

double glazed unit route: Heavy, They look bad enough on peoples houses let alone their gardens and allotments.

Anyway if anyone has bought one recently and is happy with it let me know!

Stevens706

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2010, 13:05 »
If you can wait Lidl always sell alluminiun Cold Frames in the spring for about £23 see

http://www.lidl.co.uk/cps/rde/xchg/l...index_8504.htm

For details
Paul

Brushcutter

• Andrews Decorating
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2010, 13:20 »
Thanks, that is good to know, i will have a look in the spring.
Im after one now really as i want to sow some wild flower seeds over the winter so i can have the flowers for the bumblebees in spring.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2010, 14:50 »
I'd go for an aluminium-framed coldframe as it contains more glass and therefore lets more light in. Because of that you can also stand it on a row or two of bricks or concrete blocks to give more height.

Mine was given as a present so I don't know anything else about it but I'm pretty sure it won't have been bought at Fortnum and Masons and it's still fine after several years (had to replace a glass pane but only because I dropped a hammer on it!)  :lol:
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Brushcutter

• Andrews Decorating
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2010, 16:03 »
Ticks the lightweight and low maintenance boxes too! Cheers.

johnfh

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2010, 23:07 »
I was given an old shower door by a builder friend which serves the same purpose and is light to move.

John

Paul Plots

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2010, 01:08 »
If you want something very light maybe this would be worth considering: Cold Frame Greenhouse at £25.43

Or cheaper still is the Double Sun Tunnel at £9.99 although it might be better suited to inside a cold greenhouse  ::)

Personally I think you'd be better to spend more (if that's what you want to do) and get something that would last a little longer..Greenfingers Medium FSC Cold Frame at £22.99

As well as a couple of single frames I have one of these: Silver Aluminium Jumbo Cold Frame at (hold onto your hat) £109.99 but have had it ages and didn't pay that price!

On the plot I always knock up my own using lengths of triple layered upvc sheeting (was once our conservatory roof) and a few canes, some galvanised wire for hinges and some string. It's really easy and quick to put together and then pack away when its not needed leaving the plants in their final growing position if that's useful.

Try a Googlything search for prices and models - there's loads out there wanting to make big bucks profits!   ::)
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

Coach

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2010, 10:56 »
I was given an old shower door by a builder friend which serves the same purpose and is light to move.

That is what I used, with timber from the allotment shop it cost me a mere £11.  8)
It all depends what you put into the ground, to what you get out

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2010, 11:02 »

That is what I used, with timber from the allotment shop it cost me a mere £11.  8)

And another makes three. We got a bi-fold door so it even allows different degrees of opening for ventilation.

:)
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

noshed

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2010, 11:24 »
A box with a bit of plastic on the top will do.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

Brushcutter

• Andrews Decorating
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2010, 21:39 »
Thanks for all your replies.

If you want to make a cold frame the world is your oyster.
But if you want to buy one things are not so simple!
There is a lot of choice but very few reviews or impartial non-manufacturer based info for customers.
I had a look at some Gardman cold frames in a local garden centre, for the price i didnt like the build quality, the wood was stained but not pressure treated so i imagine it would rot in a few years and i would be compelled to get some Sikkens or creosote on it before using it which defeats the object of buying one.
So it came to a choice between wooden and aluminium frames. The trade off seems to be ali for better light transfer and wood for better heat retention. Same trade off with glass and polycarb for the lights.
Anyway i opted for the Halls Jumbo ali frame at £99 with toughened glass. It will stay in the garden for the time being where i can easily keep a close eye on seedlings etc.

Paul Plots

« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2010, 00:34 »
At £99 I'd not be in too much of a rush to move it to the allotment......  :ohmy:

xx
Best cold frame

Started by Salmo on Design and Construction

10 Replies
Last post March 03, 2011, 15:56
by noshed
xx
Cold Frame

Started by derekmc on Design and Construction

1 Replies
Last post March 24, 2016, 17:17
by Plotmaster
xx
Cold frame

Started by Matthew Gayles on Design and Construction

2 Replies
Last post January 07, 2012, 12:53
by Kleftiwallah
xx
A cold frame.

Started by Little Flower on Design and Construction

0 Replies
Last post April 14, 2023, 22:30
by Little Flower

Page created in 0.137 seconds with 37 queries.