spongebob

allotment plot ???????????
« on: February 04, 2009, 19:59 »
hi all

well after a year and alot of phone calls i've been offered allotment :D

i went down to night to have a look before i meet the lady thats running it
im abit worried that its very water logged and has bog plants growing on it
the ground is so wet in places if you just stand you sink and water comes up
i have had a chat with a couple of people that have plots on site and they say that the plots do get water logged :ohmy:

so it will need a lot of work

just wnt a bit of advice
would you take it on or  :(  wait to see if an other one turns up but will prob take an other year :wacko:

lobot

Re: allotment plot ???????????
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2009, 20:33 »
I'm sure lots of people would suggest raised beds to help with the waterlogging issue.

How have others on the site got around it?

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2009, 20:35 »
A difficult poser.  Some thoughts.

You do need to bear in mind that it is a particularly wet time of year at the mo'.

Are all the other nearby plots showing signs of successful gardening or abandonment?  That might be an indicator of whether people repeatedly try and fail on that particular area.

If you wait for another plot, are you likely to encounter an identical problem on that other plot?

Are you able to do raised beds if necessary?

Have you asked about what happens if it is just too waterlogged to grow successfully on - would they let you swap plots at a later date if necessary?
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2009, 20:39 »
Grab the plot.  If others have the same problem then raised beds would work.  Use that old bath tub to plant carrots. 8)
Cheese makes everything better.

beansticks

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2009, 20:43 »
Hi Spongebob i would take it,you could improve the soil structure by adding lots of manure over the coming years,also you may need to improve drainage by putting some gravel at the bottom of a trench to create a soak-away.The bit that puzzles me is why did you have to wait over a year for a plot that looks as if it has not seen any activity for a lot longer than a year?

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2009, 20:51 »
The bit that puzzles me is why did you have to wait over a year for a plot that looks as if it has not seen any activity for a lot longer than a year?

tell me about it!!!

It all depends if you can manage the work involved on a (possibly)waterlogged plot. Others have suggested good ideas, but if you havent got the time to put into it over a few years then theres no point. However, if you do wait for another plot is it on the same site and therefore possibly waterlogged too? Maybe worth an ask if you will definately have to wait another year as they may just be trying to shift this one
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

woodburner

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2009, 22:54 »
It often takes two years from a person taking on a plot, to their being evicted, and it can happen repeatedly, too.
Bricks, black plastic, timber, baths, and oil drums all have their uses on the allotment.
The soil seems to be very dark so that's a good sign.
If that's a ditch by the side of the plot the drainage will be easy to sort (no need for a soakaway), and the first thing you need to do. Then sort and tidy the junk, spreading the black plastic on an area you don't expect to be able to dig for a couple of months or more, perhaps it's already in the right place. ;)  Double digging and raised or lazy beds come next.
I say take it.  8) :D
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

Salmo

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2009, 23:47 »
Do you know what the soil is like? Take a spade, dig a hole or two and then report back. Or look at the soil on cultivated plots next to it. Someone has been cultivating some of it , can you see what was grown.
Those clumps of rushes have been there a few years but look as though they are in lines which may have been paths so the beds between may be OK.
I agree that this is not the best time to look at it. Come March it will look better.  Start on these small areas and gradually tame the rest.
How much is the rent - do you get it free for the first year as there is work to be done.
If the rent is not too much I would take it and have a go. If other plots come vacent you can always ask to do a swap in a year or two. Current tenants usually get first choice.

Rangerkris

• My pic's
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2009, 06:55 »
Looks much like my plot did a week ago, it makes such a difference just removing the rubbish from the site and having a clear up, i did not have the rushes but lots of bramble and some self seeded ash.  I would tkae it make make the soil improvemnts or add the raised beds and crack on with it.
Thanks
Kris

lacewing

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2009, 07:08 »
Devide the plot into sections and work on one section at a time. Cover the rest with black plastic, thick cardboard, old carpet, anything that will stop weeds. Start off with a few salad crops just to get a return for your labour. And if you are keen, the rest will just follow on, with a bit of graft thrown in of course!. . . . . Good Luck!
There is no better show of antisipation than a man sowing seeds in a field.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2009, 07:12 »
I'd say not to use old carpet.  Weeds can still root through it, & chemicals can leech out from the dye, apart from the fact that it looks unslightly.

In fact some sites ban the use of it.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2009, 07:25 »
Go for it, clear the rubbish, then take a good look at whats going on around you. Raised beds have been mentioned and if the plots are prone to water logging as you say then that would be the way to go IMHO.

Take it easy just aim to get a few beds in for spring to get you going the you can clear or cover the rest as you go along. Wellies may be a good idea  ;)
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

fatbelly

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2009, 08:50 »
I say go for it.

It would take another year on the waiting list you get another plot, so why don't you do both take on the plot and enjoy and when you are there show the committee that you are a good allotmenteer and when a better plot comes available in a year or so you could switch..

My guess is once you take it on and work the plot then you will keep it, that's what I did when I took over my overrun plot and now i don't want to move. Also soil that is worked because more free draining so the water problem will be less of a issue.
99% Organic and 1% Slug Pellets.

Allotment holder since 27th May 2007.

peterjf

« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2009, 10:05 »
plenty of water loving grasses on your plot , you could try raised beds , a trench 2 spades deep would help to drain the water , you would see how far the water is from top of soil too , those marsh brasses have to go mate , good luck , pete in hull

Celtic Eagle

• The Eagle's Nest
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2009, 12:41 »
Looks like mine when I took it on

You'll be surprised how much it will dry out once all the rubbish is shifted .

Possible that there is sheeting down and that has caused the  waterlogging .

I'd go for it

:D :D :D
Blessed Be
Celtic Eagle

Everything grows green for a Celt

Mostly organic 'cept weedkiller and slugs

xx
New Allotment plot

Started by simbamara on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post October 22, 2012, 18:44
by angelavdavis
xx
First allotment plot day one

Started by jjlittle on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post January 29, 2012, 13:21
by DD.
clip
Should I take out the willows on my allotment plot?

Started by zinnia21 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post January 19, 2024, 15:34
by Aunt Sally
xx
New allotment plot photos

Started by Elm street on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 29, 2014, 14:43
by Elm street

Page created in 0.378 seconds with 33 queries.