Should I take out the willows on my allotment plot?

• 7 Replies

zinnia21

Should I take out the willows on my allotment plot?
« on: January 15, 2024, 22:23 »
I've just taken on an allotment plot. It's got six or seven willows (as well as a blackthorn and an evergreen I don't recognise) planted round the edge - see photos. Not sure why the previous tenant put the willows in - they're on the leeward side and therefore not a windbreak. I'm thinking possibly for withies but how many withies does a person need?? Anyway, I'm wondering a) if I should take them all out; and b) if so, what's the best way of doing it - some of them are quite sizeable. I know willow loves a lot of water and I'm thinking that between them they're going to suck up a lot of water as well as taking up a lot of space. But if there is a great reason to keep some or all of them (as opposed to my idea of taking them out and putting in some fruit trees) I'd like to hear it. I'm very keen to make my plot as wildlife-friendly as possible.

There's also quite a big blackthorn which I definitely want to take out, but I'm wondering if it's going to be really hard to get out as the roots will be big. Any tips?
WhatsApp Image 2024-01-15 at 22.04.40_b0b407af.jpg

Goosegirl

Re: Should I take out the willows on my allotment plot?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2024, 08:51 »
If your plot has poor drainage for what ever reason, maybe take some willows out but leave the rest to help with this. You could cut the blackthorn down in parts so it doesn't cause too much of a problem. If you removed both the willows and blackthorn it would detract from your wildlife ideals.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2024, 19:18 »
In my view, there is rarely a place for willows on a plot. There are a lot of alloment tenants who plant them, thinking they can have a nice little willow arbour for example. They do not realise how quickly the willows can get out of control (many feet growth per year), and how large they can get around the base of the plant.

There is one tenant who responsibly manages their willow by coppicing it down to the ground each year. The rest of the tenants just let it get out of control and have to be reminded to cut it down to a mangeable height each year.

I would hoik it out.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2024, 19:22 »
I would hoik it out.

You’ll cry if you don’t !   :(

snowdrops

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2024, 20:01 »
If you don’t need them or haven’t enough room for what you want to grow then take them out, but if you’ve got the room for what you can clear & grow this year, leave them for now but perhaps coppice them as Yorkie says to keep them under control. You might find by next year there was a good reason they were planted as per other replies re a wet plot etc.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2024, 23:29 »
If you have wet ground, maybe plant something in that place that might be more useful. Possibly another type of tree, as they can remove a lot of water from the soil.
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

Blewit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2024, 08:38 »
There's a reason willows suck up so much water, they have huge root structures. Not at all good for growing veg anywhere near.
Be wary of the blackthorn too, they send out wiry root runners metres long just below the soil surface which then pop up to grow new trees.
Tbh it's two trees I'd never plant on an allotment.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2024, 15:34 »
There's a reason willows suck up so much water, they have huge root structures. Not at all good for growing veg anywhere near.
Be wary of the blackthorn too, they send out wiry root runners metres long just below the soil surface which then pop up to grow new trees.
Tbh it's two trees I'd never plant on an allotment.

I totally agree with you, Blewit !!!

xx
Trees and willows

Started by montygti on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post October 05, 2012, 20:46
by ilan
xx
allotment plot ???????????

Started by spongebob on Grow Your Own

31 Replies
Last post February 10, 2009, 18:42
by madcat
xx
First allotment plot day one

Started by jjlittle on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post January 29, 2012, 13:21
by DD.
xx
New Allotment plot

Started by simbamara on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post October 22, 2012, 18:44
by angelavdavis

Page created in 0.342 seconds with 43 queries.