Removing lower tom leaves.

• 13 Replies

Goosegirl

Removing lower tom leaves.
« on: July 22, 2021, 11:39 »
My 4 toms (2 per large grow-bag) have grown like Topsy and have massive leaves lower down that are obscuring some of the ripening toms there. How much can be safely taken off to give them more light? One bag has Ailsa Craig and Gardeners' Delight. The other has two plum toms.
Toms 2.jpg
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Lardman

Re: Removing lower tom leaves.
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2021, 12:06 »
... have grown like Topsy
Showing your age again GG  :nowink:

I remove the lower leaves without problems on cordon plants I think it helps improve air circulation. Id be a little more wary of doing it on intermediate, just make sure you leave enough material to feed the plants.

jambop

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2021, 12:56 »
My 4 toms (2 per large grow-bag) have grown like Topsy and have massive leaves lower down that are obscuring some of the ripening toms there. How much can be safely taken off to give them more light? One bag has Ailsa Craig and Gardeners' Delight. The other has two plum toms.

As said the plants will be better aired but I have to tell you the amount of sunshine does not significantly help ripen the tomatoes.

jambop

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2021, 13:00 »
One other thing to be aware of is that if tomatoes are too exposed the could be scalded by the sun!

snowdrops

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2021, 18:52 »
I’ve removed lots of the lower leaves of my toms in both the poly tunnel & the greenhouse as for the last 3 years in the greenhouse they’ve suffered some disease or other (botrytis?) so I’m trying to improve the ventilation. It’s recommended to remove the leaves below the ripening truss but I’ve  gone above this year too.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Goosegirl

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2021, 13:33 »
Thanks all. I'll have a judicious prune of some lower large leaves especially as I can't see the grow pots when I'm trying to water and feed them.

snowdrops

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2021, 21:02 »
Thanks all. I'll have a judicious prune of some lower large leaves especially as I can't see the grow pots when I'm trying to water and feed them.

Yes I like that aspect of removing them too. Plus this year I’ve sunk pint plastic glasses in the pots in the greenhouse toms & next too the tunnel ones to water directly to the roots

Growster...

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2021, 07:12 »
I've never got to grips with doing the job properly, but have found that quite a few lower leaves go brown and drop off anyway, so just let them go...

I think with all the problems we're getting this year, I'll give them a seeing-to later today - not now as it's pouring down, and I'm sitting here in my jim-jams..;0)

Goosegirl

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2021, 13:52 »
For the first time ever in my attempts at growing toms there's not a leaf that has any discolouration whatsoever!  All are a lovely green colour but a lot bigger than I used to get.  :blush:

BTW Growster, what's "pouring down"? We've only had two good cloudbursts and a couple of rainy days since the end of April. Was supposed to get a good bit of rain on Friday but the weathermen keep moving it to the next day which means as of today it'll be next Tuesday before it happens. :wacko: As for sitting in your jim-jams, well I never did!  :tongue2: :lol:

Growster...

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2021, 14:56 »
I asked you a million times about your jim jams, Goosey, and you never, ever replied..:0(

It's pouring down as we speak, the thunder has awoken jRT, and now I'm ready for a post-prandial-runner-bean-induced snooze...

SethL

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2021, 08:03 »
I have taken all the leaves off the lower half of my cordon tomatoes. Mainly because I planted them too close together in my polytunnel and it was a nightmare trying to water them, now I can easily see and aim the water at the base of the plants.

Goosegirl

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2021, 14:53 »
I asked you a million times about your jim jams, Goosey, and you never, ever replied..:0(

It's pouring down as we speak, the thunder has awoken jRT, and now I'm ready for a post-prandial-runner-bean-induced snooze...
I haven't replied re- my jim-jams because if I told you I'd have to kill you!  :lol:

Growster...

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2021, 07:00 »

Goosegirl

« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2021, 09:45 »
Oh Mr G. Now you've made me go and empty a full box of Kleenex!  ::)

xx
Lower leaves on Toms

Started by Lardman on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 05, 2009, 14:35
by Lardman
clip
Lower Tomato Leaves Changing Colour

Started by qualitynotquantity on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post May 31, 2014, 11:23
by 8doubles
xx
? re cutting lower leaves off tomato plants

Started by 4th season allot on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 11, 2020, 10:28
by JayG
xx
Problem with lower leaves on my newly planted g'house toms

Started by LivvyW on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post May 21, 2008, 22:45
by LivvyW

Page created in 0.317 seconds with 50 queries.