Sausage Casserole - Disappointed

• 8 Replies

mrs bouquet

Sausage Casserole - Disappointed
« on: January 26, 2021, 13:31 »
What did I do wrong, I soaked the Pearl Barley, prepped the root veg, celery and potatoes and part cooked.
The sausages were my usual ones.  I took them from the freezer and thawed them in the 'fridge overnight  I did notice a bit of small ice crystals in the pack.
Cooked the sausages on hot heat to colour them , added everything to the casserole, herbs, ras al hanout, etc etc. 
When I ate it the sausages were soft and flabby inside, not as I like them with firm meat.     Do you think they got the melted crystals into them,  or was there something else I did wrong ?    cooked on Fan at 180c
Today, I have divided into two glass casseroles, for today and tomorrow, which I plan to microwave.  Do you think the re-heating will firm the bangers up ?     thank you,   Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

Blewit

• Experienced Member
Re: Sausage Casserole - Disappointed
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2021, 14:20 »
Sausages in a casserole have always been soft for me. Effectively they've been boiled so I thought they were supposed to be like that. Got me thinking though, ages since we had a sausage casserole .. thanks for the memory nudge Mrs B   :)

wighty

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2021, 16:08 »
Agree with Blewitt.  Sausages in a casserole always go 'flabby' no matter how much you brown them first.  I quite like the texture myself.  I suppose you could cook the casserole seperately and serve your browned sausages on the side if you want crisper ones.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2021, 16:41 »
I was going to say make balls with the sausagemeat and fry them off first, but even then any further cooking in the stew would turn them soft again..
So yes, serve the sausages with the stew, rather than cooking them in it

mrs bouquet

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2021, 20:39 »
It was much much better today.Having divided into two casseroles, 2 sausages per casserole,  I decided it might not be enough veg, so I opened a tin of 5 mixed beans in tasty tomato sauce, half a tin to each dish.
I cut the sausages down into small bite sizes and stir all in.   Microwaved until piping hot and it was delicious.
Same again tomorrow.   I am enjoying cooking again at the moment.  Thanks for your replies, I shall not casserole them again.   Tray bake I think.       I like it to be fairly nice, because apart from a small bowl of cereal and my hot cross bun, it is all I have for the day.   Cheers,  Mrs B

MrsPea

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2021, 14:16 »

did you cut the sausages up into bit size pieces ? that makes it much better  :) after they've gone cold
I Love my green house

mrs bouquet

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2021, 14:55 »
In the first cook, the sausages were whole,  after that I cut them into bite sizes.  I think they may have absorbed the soft pearl barley juice as well.     I heated the second dish in the micro-wave,  much better.
Mrs B

jezza

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2021, 14:29 »
Hello afraid I dont have all the fancy stuff in sausage casserole, just sausage, carrot and onion with mashed potatoe and cabbage,cant be doing with messed about food    jezza

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2021, 10:42 »
Hello afraid I dont have all the fancy stuff in sausage casserole, just sausage, carrot and onion with mashed potatoe and cabbage,cant be doing with messed about food    jezza

Nothing wrong with good old fashioned simple recipes  :)

I like messed around with food and the basics, but if we are talking mashed potatoes and gravy, you could feed me anything you liked with that  :lol:

xx
smoked sausage omelette

Started by chrissie B on Kitchen Natter

5 Replies
Last post November 30, 2017, 09:07
by chrissie B
xx
Burnt Sausage Roll

Started by mrs bouquet on Kitchen Natter

5 Replies
Last post June 18, 2023, 12:30
by mrs bouquet

Page created in 0.134 seconds with 45 queries.