Mouldy cheese

• 8 Replies

mrs bouquet

Mouldy cheese
« on: December 21, 2019, 10:36 »
I do love cheese and normally buy "C------ral City.   But the last few times, I have opened it and kept it in the vacuum bag (as usual)   and am finding that it is going mouldy well before the use-by date.  I am throwing half of it away.    Is there a better way to keep cheese to prevent this, or should I just start buying very little pieces ?    Thanks,   Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Mouldy cheese
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2019, 12:23 »
When I first open the pack I cut the piece into 2 or 3 and wrap each piece individually in cling film. So when I open the pack, to take some out, not all of it is exposed to the air.
I find it keeps much better now.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2019, 17:39 »
If you are going to cook with it, cheese freezes fine.  It goes a bit crumblier, but that makes it easier,  I just break it up for cheese sauce, instead of getting the grater out.  I buy big blocks of cheddar, section them up, wrap in foil, then bag and freeze.  It works out very cheap. 

I do the same with parmesan wedges, although these I cut into much smaller bits.  If you have a micro-plane grater, you can grate straight from the freezer and jazz up your pasta without the rest going dry or interesting shades of green and blue in the fridge  :)

Growster...

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2019, 18:45 »
'Big Church City' is a favourite here too, but today some Double Gloucester seemed slightly off colour, so it took just a shave off, and then a serious grating to get it back in use...

An old friend used to keep all sorts of cheese bits in a big sealed jar, keeping the air out, and letting it 'grow' a bit more! It was incredible, slightly moister than you'd expect and the flavour strength would have been about 12 on the Richter Scale!

wapello

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2019, 19:06 »
WE like the city cheese also, plus i also cold smoke it as well half the block with apple and the other  half
with pecan both very tasty might put in some sausage and some home cured bacon if its ready plain food
is not for us with this spicey food we want to go out with a bang,,, :D :D :D
Colin

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2019, 20:30 »
I wrap the cheese in a piece of kitchen roll before putting it back into the resealable bag - it seems to absorb the moisture and thus it gets less mouldy
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Growster...

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2019, 17:55 »
I wrap the cheese in a piece of kitchen roll before putting it back into the resealable bag - it seems to absorb the moisture and thus it gets less mouldy

Interesting, Yorkie!

A daught recommends putting a piece of kitchen roll in with anything like that, as it absorbs the few drops etc...

Works great with bags of salad!
« Last Edit: December 22, 2019, 17:57 by Growster... »

jaydig

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2019, 19:01 »
I tip mushrooms out of their plastic container, then line it with kitchen roll before putting them back in, and they keep much better like this.  As with the cheese, I think it's the condensation that causes the problem.

Growster...

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2019, 20:31 »
I tip mushrooms out of their plastic container, then line it with kitchen roll before putting them back in, and they keep much better like this.  As with the cheese, I think it's the condensation that causes the problem.

Spot on as usual, Jay!

xx
Anyone for Cheese?

Started by Kate and her Ducks on Kitchen Natter

51 Replies
Last post February 13, 2015, 10:17
by Debz

Page created in 0.13 seconds with 45 queries.