Preserves on Parade

• 228 Replies

snowdrops

Re: Preserves on Parade
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2016, 18:13 »
Well done Sunny on enough figs to jam, how big is your tree & where is it?
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2016, 18:16 »
The tree is in the back garden and we keep it pruned to about 2'5m high and 3m wide at its bushiest each year. Drastic pruning of part of the tree at a time each year or it would be as big as the house ... about 30 years old!

Brunswick figs themselves are really enormous too, so it only took 7 figs for all that jam 😍
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

snowdrops

« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2016, 18:20 »
Hmm my brown turkey is in a planter but I struggle with watering it, really need to rig up a self watering system for it.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2016, 20:26 »
With such big leaves ours does needs extra water too as its roots are restricted by a concrete and brick raised bed

mrsbean

« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2016, 21:15 »
 Hi Sunny, i may sound thick ... but what is kosher salt that you used in your bean and carrot recipe and where do you buy it. Or can i use ordinary cooking salt.       

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2016, 09:02 »
Cooking salt has an anti-caking agent in it and this seems to affect the colour of the veggies... green bits look greyish which is not so good (I found this out last year)

Kosher salt is completely pure. I bought mine on amazon with next day free delivery -- easy option. I think you can use sea salt instead

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2016, 12:37 »
I had nearly talked myself out of the tomato jelly, then I found these at The Range for £2.49 each.  I know that isn't cheap for jars, but these are kilner with the proper band lids and look sooooo lovely.

I now have plans for some lovely coloured jellies all lined up on a shelf, so started with a green tomato one.  It was flavoured with fresh green chilli, plus bay leaves and herbs from the garden.  I ran out of time, so it is a green juice in the fridge for now and tastes promisingly tart and savoury to make a good jelly.

My plans are now for a red tomato one with basil, a purple one when the grapes ripen and a pink one when the quinces are ready.

No-one is going to get to eat these of course.  I shall just be opening the door and gloating over them  ;)  :lol:

chrissie B

« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2016, 16:19 »
Those jars look nice.
chrissie b
Woman cannot live by bread alone , she must have cake , biscuits cheese and the occasional glass of wine .🍷

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2016, 18:58 »
First of my new special jars filled  :)  Green tomato and herb jelly spiced with chilli although it has come out a deep amber colour, rather than the green I was expecting.  Tastes good though  :D

Next on the list is a red tomato and basil version.

I also made some chili oil and more pickled gerkins.  I think we are up to about 4 large jars of these now and I picked another bowlful earlier on.  Sunshineband did smile and say they were prolific as she handed me the seeds.  She was quite right  :lol:
« Last Edit: August 20, 2016, 18:59 by New shoot »

chrissie B

« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2016, 20:46 »
Ooo err very nice .
chrissie b

snowdrops

« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2016, 21:35 »
Lovely looking jar & jelly.

I just won a first at the garden club annual show, for my courgette chutney. I think it was a recipe from on here😊

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2016, 22:16 »
Lovely looking jar & jelly.

I just won a first at the garden club annual show, for my courgette chutney. I think it was a recipe from on here😊

Congratulations Snowy... always good to know other people like your creations!

And New Shoot, the jelly plan sounds interesting. I am doing bramble jelly tomorrow ... nice dark purple one I hope!

Swing Swang

« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2016, 22:31 »
Kosher salt is completely pure. I bought mine on amazon with next day free delivery -- easy option. I think you can use sea salt instead

This is essentially true - 'Kosher salt' is a bit of a misnomer and is in fact 'Koshering salt' - i.e. salt that is used in the koshering process. The term 'kosher salt' appears in many of my older North American published cookery books, but has now found its way into mainstream UK publications too. Any pure rock salt, sea salt, or even PVD salt will work just fine. Indeed some brands of coarse salt for water softeners are listed as 'food grade' on the bag and this can be a very cheap source of salt.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2016, 08:11 »

Well done Snowdrops  :D 

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2016, 17:51 »

This is essentially true - 'Kosher salt' is a bit of a misnomer and is in fact 'Koshering salt' - i.e. salt that is used in the koshering process. The term 'kosher salt' appears in many of my older North American published cookery books, but has now found its way into mainstream UK publications too. Any pure rock salt, sea salt, or even PVD salt will work just fine. Indeed some brands of coarse salt for water softeners are listed as 'food grade' on the bag and this can be a very cheap source of salt.

Thanks Swingswang... all news to me and worth knowing!

Page created in 0.143 seconds with 50 queries.