sloegin

• Experienced Member
Anyone made/tasted nettle beer?
« on: July 09, 2010, 07:44 »
Was tempted to make some

Frothgar

Re: Anyone made/tasted nettle beer?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2010, 16:12 »
Hi, I know you posted this question nearly a month ago, but I noticed that you'd had no replies, so - here goes...
I have made nettle beer/ale a few times - both to reproduce ancient recipes and to make a drink for the modern palate. 
Nettles have been used for thousands of years in cooking - stews, salads, drinks etc., and was often used in brewing esp before we used hops.  In this respect it is usually in place of hops that you would use them in a brew.  Of course, way back then, we didn't have sugar, and used honey as a sweetener.  So, an authentic 'ancient' brew could be made using mixed blossom honey and nettles (fresh youmg nettle tops are best) that is: as many nettles as you can be bothered to pick (about a brewing-bucketful) with enough honey to make a decent alc% (about 2lb per gallon).  This would make a typical 'King Alfred's Mead'-type ale.  However, the modern palate often finds the old recipes a bit lacking, so you might consider using a pale malt in addition to/or in place of some or all of the honey to give more body (but watch the SG level or you'll end up with a wine!).  You could also throw in a handful of your favourite hops to help with the flavour (although nettle is fine on its own).
Hope this helps.   :)
Frothgar

xx
Nettle beer

Started by ytyynycefn on Homebrew

1 Replies
Last post April 24, 2007, 20:06
by jackiestagg
xx
Nettle beer recipe.

Started by hayles62 on Homebrew

3 Replies
Last post February 07, 2007, 20:41
by muntjac
xx
Nettle Beer Recipe & Instructions plz

Started by dangolding on Homebrew

1 Replies
Last post March 31, 2009, 20:19
by Jay Dubya
xx
Nettle lager

Started by Jamie Butterworth on Homebrew

15 Replies
Last post June 17, 2011, 11:50
by bearhugger1972

Page created in 0.121 seconds with 29 queries.