Almost worth their weight in gold !

• 2 Replies

Bodger

« on: December 07, 2007, 11:32 »
In the Daily Telegraph today. Partly down to the bird flu problems, there is a  dire shortage of free range organic turkeys this year.

Waitrose the supermarket chain have warned customers that they wont be having any in their stores this year. They had all their eggs in one basket and were set to source all the 18,000 birds they were set to have from just the one farm on the Norfolk/Suffolk border. Unfortunately all 18,000 were culled because of the flu  

Defra said yesterday that the number culled represented less than 1% of the UK population.

If you can afford the cost of being registered as organic, then turkeys might be a niche market for smallholders to move into. Having said that, the big boys will probably flood the market next year.

daveinmanc

• Experienced Member
    • http://www.traffordangling.co.uk
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2007, 13:21 »
either way they're gonna charge more for them this year regardless of whether they're legit or scaremongering etc etc, but for me, doesn't bother me if i never ate any turkey again  . . . . . think its a bit bland and boring and i'll be off to the chinese again for Christmas day dinner again with the family, no cooking, no washing up  . . . . . . .  now thats what i call a dinner lol  :D

muntjac

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2007, 15:46 »
that reports just what the sellers want to hear its bunkum really bodger old chap .as usual folks will try and make more dosh from the innocent .... bassrdas :x
still alive /............

xx
sexing gold top

Started by Tony H on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post April 15, 2012, 09:27
by GrannieAnnie
xx
Gold Brahma chicks

Started by Helenaj on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post June 14, 2011, 20:33
by evie2
xx
Brahma Cockerels (Gold) x 2

Started by CheekyChix on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post October 10, 2010, 14:58
by CheekyChix
xx
gold laced polish cockerel

Started by alotment shed on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post March 25, 2009, 21:30
by Foxy

Page created in 0.192 seconds with 35 queries.