Bubbles coming from eyes

• 23 Replies

iwantanallotment

Re: Bubbles coming from eyes
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2009, 21:03 »
An easy way is to pop it on some food for her, Sarah. Mine had it on sweetcorn and gobbled up every bit  ;) Make sure the others can't pinch it, though!

Foxy

« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2009, 21:05 »
If you have only had her 2 weeks, it could be that she already had the myco infection previously and the stress of the move, has re-activated the disease.
Tylan would be a good antibiotic or Baytril.  Baytril can be administered by syringe directly down the beak, or pop the medication on a peice of bread. :) Tylan by inj. or in the water. Unless you see a poultry friendly vet you are likely to be prescribed Baytril, which is fine and will do the job. For the time being, try and reduce stress to a minimum and add apple cider vinegar to the water to support the digestive system. Check for mites, and keep on top of husbandry -by this making sure feed is fresh and coop is clean and dry.  :) You will be fine!

matilda duck

« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2009, 21:06 »
Give it her through a syringe.  Stroke the back of her throat she opens her beak and down it goes!  Easy!    :unsure:

matilda duck

« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2009, 21:07 »
Sorry Foxy,  You got there first :wub:

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2009, 23:01 »
If you get aureomycin, you mix it in with their water, but it needs to be fresh each day.

chickenlady

• Happychooks Blog
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2009, 00:17 »
Give it her through a syringe.  Stroke the back of her throat she opens her beak and down it goes!  Easy!    :unsure:
Didnt try it that way!  ::) i wrapped each girl up in a towel and pushed the syringe into the side of the beak till they opened it! then squirted it in quick! although quite often it went all over me! aureomycin much easier pop 3 teaspoons in 5 litres of water and as grannie says change this every day (every 12 hours if in a hard water area)

Hope she is ok!  :unsure: let us know how it goes!

Debbie
thinks her guardian angel`s gone on strike !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SarahJC

• Experienced Member
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2009, 00:27 »
I'm guessing I can only get the antibiotics through a vet? Prescription is needed online it seems. How have you all found vets are with chickens? I've been keeping an eye on all of them. I was squatting down staring at Tippi while she was roosting tonight, with her staring back at me like I had suddenly gone mad.

8 chickens, 5 cats, 2 guinea pigs and 1 other half.

iwantanallotment

« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2009, 01:37 »
You'll need a vet Sarah yes, so may as well visit one and get the meds quicker than going by post. Might be a bit dearer with consultation fee etc, but time is of the essence anyway.

Whichever med you are prescribed determines how it can be administered, so please let us know when you have your meds for further advice?

Ie, Baytril is via injection or mouth. Tylan is by injection or in water.

My personal preference is Baytril on food, as I know they each get the full dose that way. Squirting into beak just had one squirting it straight back out through her nose  >:(

But each to his own and what suits & bird's temperament. Please try and see a vet today, or you have the weekend to get through....and no-one wants a sick pet on a weekend.

I recently lost some which had symptoms very similar to yours, so did Grumpydad and others, it's rife at the moment. Please don't be complacent, they go downhill sooooo quickly  :(   All the best x

* to add - most vets don't know a lot about poultry, it's a sad fact. I've a feeling they may in future, now poultry are so popular. But for your current situation you may need to give your vet some clues. For starters, "Mycoplasma and antibiotics please, preferrably Tylan or Baytril"  :D That's what I did, anyway! Unless you have access to an agricultural vet?
Soz for long post....I always think of more to say after I've said what I was gonna say  :blush: Hope it helps, though.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2009, 01:56 by iwantanallotment »

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2009, 07:33 »
As more and more people are keeping chickens in their gardens more vets will treat them. my Aureomycin cost me £18.45 for a tub which will last me ages (only have 14 birds). If you armed with as much information as you can (printed out) then if your vet isn't sure they can cross reference everything. I am lucky my vets isn't expensive (consultation, Aureomycin, metacam and injection cost me £32 pounds last year and an autopsy this year only £23 which I think is good value). Have you had a look in the poultry information section to see if a vet near you has been recommended by anyone on here?
Joy-xx
Staffies are softer than you think.

xx
Chicken with bubbles in eye

Started by chloe on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post March 19, 2011, 15:45
by Jeanette
xx
BAD EYES

Started by HAPPYCHICKENHOME on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post June 25, 2013, 18:29
by ANHBUC
xx
odd eyes

Started by flapper on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post February 19, 2010, 22:27
by GrannieAnnie
question
Bubbley eyes

Started by Bruce Rance on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post September 27, 2009, 09:33
by dizzylizzie

Page created in 0.233 seconds with 39 queries.