Kiss of Life to duckling.....

• 9 Replies

Prod

Kiss of Life to duckling.....
« on: June 23, 2013, 12:59 »
It's official........ my partner wants me certifying!!!!   Bear with me...  Our local Waste Site sells items for Charity (or so they say)  but you can get some bargains. Two or three weeks ago I got a rabbit hutch with 2 mtr wire run for a fiver, the run is worth that and is now occupied by Connie and her 8 ducklings. anyway yesterday I called in and got a baby bath for 50p which I thought would be great for the ducklings which are now 2 weeks old. So today I filled it up and went about my tasks on the field. Fortunately I glanced over and one of the ducklings was lay face down floating on the water with its legs splayed out. I rushed over and lifted out thinking it was dead but there were tiny signs of life so I took it to the shed and laid it on a towel. It seemed to be in spasm as its legs were stretched out and shaking and it seemed a gonna. I keep a hairdryer in the shed for when I groom the dog and cat so I put that on to dry it and warm it but it still seemed lifeless so...... I gave it the kiss of life, blowing gently into its mouth (well beak) and gently rubbing its tummy.  It responded so I did a bit more then I nursed it in my fleece and walked back up to the house to ask my partner to warm a little milk with some manuka honey in.  (At this point I cannot repeat what my partner said)  but I got the milk and using a syringe I fed it tiny drops.  Then I held it for about 20 mins and it seemed to revive so I put it in a small box in with the legbar chicks in the brooder under the light.  An hour later it was up and cheeping so I put it back with Connie.  That as about 2 hrs ago and when I just looked they were all under her wings cosy and warm.  My partner thinks I have totally lost it but ------ what can you do??? :blink: :blink:

ehs284

Re: Kiss of Life to duckling.....
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2013, 13:08 »
Good for you

madcat

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2013, 15:13 »
Bet he is secretly proud of his kind, mad, lovely OH!  couldnt possibly say it of course - not the done thing!
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

Sparkyrog

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2013, 16:45 »
if there is no ramp out of a water container ducklings can get to tired and drown ,may of been the reason
I cook therefore I grow

superpete

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2013, 17:09 »
... also they haven't got the natural waterproofing at this age and can get waterlogged - well done Prod, we had the same once... pulled him out of the water and blow-dried him till he perked up - this was our little lot:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYGvtufTVLk

Prod

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2013, 17:36 »
I made them a ramp to get in  but it must have been to deep and steep to get out...... Good job I was there  ...

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2013, 18:38 »
Well done!

When they are little I don't give them anything they can't stand in unless I am there to watch them. I tend to use a clean cat litter tray which they can splash about in.
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

Prod

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2013, 18:44 »
Well I was using a paint roller try which seemed ideal as it automatically slopes and has a 'tread'  but I guess I got a bit too ambitious!!!!

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2013, 07:35 »
At this point I cannot repeat what my partner said

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

No, but we can imagine what it was and the look on her face ;)

Well done for getting the little mite back in the land of the living :D  If you are an animal lover, you can't stand back and watch a creature suffer without trying to help  :)

Prod

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2013, 19:33 »
All doing well  so far!!!!!!!

xx
DUCKLING

Started by WR1 on The Hen House

19 Replies
Last post July 05, 2008, 20:47
by WR1
xx
Possible duckling

Started by dkelly on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post April 12, 2007, 13:11
by slowef
xx
re duckling

Started by phil2005 on The Hen House

28 Replies
Last post June 11, 2009, 22:52
by too many girls
xx
Lost a duckling

Started by Kathie on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post September 29, 2010, 18:30
by Kathie

Page created in 0.211 seconds with 40 queries.