BAD EYES

• 14 Replies

HAPPYCHICKENHOME

BAD EYES
« on: June 19, 2013, 07:11 »
Has anyone else had problems with chickens eyes, to me it looks a bit like when we get conjunctivitus, but on top of that he has a slight opque film over the eye, the vet gave me chloramphenicol eye drops to try, but you cannot get them directly into his eye as he has a nervous tick, its just about impossible, I tried putting some on cotton wool and dabbing, but its just a nightmare to do, he gets so stressed.  At present I have been bathing his eye with warm water and a hint of salt to get rid of the green gunk but am at a loss as to what to try???? >:(

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: BAD EYES
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2013, 07:37 »
wrap him up in a towel so that he cant move - then get somebody else to either hold him or put the drops from the vets in for you. Did the vet take any swabs to find out exactly what is the problem?
Staffies are softer than you think.

Prod

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2013, 08:33 »
I have read that people use Neosporin ointment with effect  Has anyone heard of this or used it????

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2013, 11:11 »
I would try what joyfull says and wrap in a towel and have someone to help.  If he is laid on his side in the towel he should be calm.   ;)
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

HAPPYCHICKENHOME

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2013, 08:35 »
Hi  He is really tame and you can hold him but he has a tick which means he moves his head spasmodically and always has its just last time I tried the drops they made absolutely no difference, in face he was more gunked up around his eyes, as the vet said there is not necessarily specific things for chickens so it can be trial and error unless you go and get tests run on him, not sure what to do next really :(  what is neosporin?

Prod

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2013, 09:25 »
:(  what is neosporin?

It is an antiseptic ointment which you can buy. It is called a 'triple antiseptic'  Ive seen it mentioned on other forums, particularly the USA ones, and although it says 'Do not use on eyes' for humans people seem to think it is magic for chickens. It seems a bit expensive but you can you a tube on Ebay or Amazon for about £10.00

HAPPYCHICKENHOME

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2013, 10:13 »
Hi  Thanks will look into it - found a past post on bad eyes and one person was bathing the eyes in cold tea and bicarb - does anyone know the reason for these two things together?  Always interested in case of future ailments..... :)

ANHBUC

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2013, 12:17 »
Tea has natural antibacterial properties which is really good on smelly feet.  One member had a bird that had a strong odour to it despite the bird being bathed a few times.  I suggested using luke warm tea bath and it worked.  It did change the feather colouring slightly but I'm sure that would wear off.   :lol:

I believe bicarb is used for the same reason.

Prod

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2013, 17:02 »
When my granddad was a boy they were so poor they couldn't afford shoes so his mum used to soak his feet in tea till they went brown and then lace his toes up........... :wub: :wub:

HAPPYCHICKENHOME

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2013, 19:17 »
It has really made me giggle about tea and feet, am going to pass it on to a few friends..... :D  Am trying some antibiotic on Gerry and will see how it goes    Thanks. :)

Helenaj

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2013, 15:58 »
Tea has natural antibacterial properties which is really good on smelly feet.  One member had a bird that had a strong odour to it despite the bird being bathed a few times.  I suggested using luke warm tea bath and it worked.  It did change the feather colouring slightly but I'm sure that would wear off.   :lol:

I believe bicarb is used for the same reason.

ANHBUC, that was my hen and she's been lovely ever since!
« Last Edit: June 23, 2013, 16:10 by ANHBUC »

ANHBUC

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2013, 16:11 »
 :lol:

Glad she is no longer smelly or tea coloured. 

Helenaj

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2013, 17:09 »
:lol:

Glad she is no longer smelly or tea coloured.

She is a Barnevelder, so is tea coloured anyway!! The tea bath did seem to emphasise the pencilling on her and brought a lovely shine to her feathers - I don't know how a white hen would fare though - probably turn ginger!!!  :lol:

HAPPYCHICKENHOME

« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2013, 11:59 »
I have him on baytril and am bathing his eye on a morning he really does not like it but the green gunk seems to be getting less and his eye is not as cloudy, I do feel sorry for him as I am down to just one girl at the moment and if she is feeling that way out she will go off around the garden and leave hiim behind, he needs her closer so that he can follow so am sometimes carrying him round to the front of the house, which can offend his male dignity! nevermind, fingers crossed he keeps progressing :happy:

ANHBUC

« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2013, 18:29 »
Hopefully he will be back to his rooster ways soon.   :)

xx
odd eyes

Started by flapper on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post February 19, 2010, 22:27
by GrannieAnnie
xx
sticky eyes

Started by Nails on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post July 11, 2010, 22:13
by Aunt Sally
sad
poorly eyes

Started by reezie on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post October 08, 2010, 17:32
by Yorkie
xx
Foaming eyes

Started by Daisycow on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post November 16, 2009, 20:45
by mickwood

Page created in 0.206 seconds with 39 queries.