Impacted garden ... un-diggable!

• 9 Replies

texas_gardenia

Impacted garden ... un-diggable!
« on: August 14, 2010, 22:11 »
Hi everyone!!

I am in a bit of a pickle. We recently moved into a flat with its own small garden out back. I use the term 'garden' loosely in this case... the dirt is so impacted that no grass is growing at all. Just a load of HUGELY tall weeds. I have squirted them with Round-Up but they just shrug it off. Oh well. Weeds isn't the main problem - the main problem is the impaction of the dirt. I have a back problem and I cannot manually dig the dirt. Even if I wanted to.. I am not sure it's physically possible. My partner tried to put the shovel down into the ground and only the very tip would go in. There aren't rocks.. just.. no one has touched this garden for maybe 10 years. The builders were going to just lay a huge load of gravel over it and call it good. I said no, let me see if I can use it. So here I am. I can't afford a hundred  pounds to rent a roto-tiller. Are there any other options? I would just like some grass to grow at least. I can always resort to raised beds for the actual gardening if I need to. If I take a sharp hoe and cut up the surface, will I be able to get some grass going, or will it just die when the roots can't go down further?

thanks for any help!! :)

pigeonpie

Re: Impacted garden ... un-diggable!
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2010, 22:57 »
I find the ground a lot easier to work on if it has had some rain on it as it tends to be a little softer.  Also, by using a fork rather than a spade the tines should be easier to get in and break it up slightly.  However, short of building raised beds with new soil I wouldn't say that there was an easy no-dig method for getting the ground turned over - apart from a few pigs...!!!

SG6

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2010, 23:05 »
Only thing to come to mind is the no-dig-garden approach.
Seems to be layer it with manure and whatever, best go find the post that refered to it, and let nature slowly work it down into the ground.

How much rain have you had of late as that will make the ground hard and if clay then even harder. As just about any ground gets a little digable when wet I suggest waiting until a good downpour then seeing how deep you can at least disturb the surface.

Even if only an inch or two would mean you can tip several bags of compost and/or manure over and work in a little. That starts things off. Think that a layer of leaves is good as works drag them down and help things break up.

If you try the no dig approach, then if you have to cover it, think you did, then I suggest something that lets rain in. It also depends on what you can buy locally.

Problem is that unless you can and do dig it then the ground will not convert overnight.

Trillium

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2010, 17:48 »
I too immediately thought of a no dig garden. If you start making it this year it will be ready for planting by next year. Just remember to keep adding more layers every year.
Here's a helpful video: 8CriHmRpeP0The rock dust mentioned can be replaced by kelp/seweed granules and I wouldn't worry about the clay. Basically, you're making a large compost pile in which you'll plant your veg.

vet

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2010, 18:01 »
Your roto-tiller wouldn't be any help if its that hard and my OH would tell you it's not that easy on your back either. Try cutting down and clearing away the weeds to about 6" so you still have some foliage on them but can see what you're doing and keep spraying, it may take two or three applications. After that you can either go for no dig or try with a fork after its rained some more as the other posts have suggested :)

evie2

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2010, 21:30 »
I agree with SG6, the way it was explained to me it's perfect for someone with a bad back and a garden that's been left to it's own devices  :)
May this day be blessed with gifts, understanding and friends.  Merlin 2001-2012 Pandora 2001-2013 xxx

mobilekat

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2010, 21:53 »
If its soo impacted that it isnt draining when you get rain you may need to try and chip into the top of it a bit, do you know anyone with a pick or mattock?

Or cheat a dn tell a few small children that there is treasure buried there......  :tongue2:

Good luck- does sound like a candidate for 'No dig'!
Very often quite lost- would be more lost if I could work out where I was!- But always find my way home.....

Trillium

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2010, 22:55 »
Actually, with no dig, it keeps in so much moisture that it softens the soil below, so the previously impacted soil will actually allow plant roots to penetrate.

Paul Plots

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2010, 01:25 »
Alternatively throw a party a few days after standing with a hose and thoroughly soaking the soil.  Provide the bottles but call the party a "Bring a Garden Fork" house warming.

Peg out small areas and invite the guests to dig down 8" and remove the weeds from their patch.

Prize categories: a) the softest soil b) the largest bag of weeds

Well.... desperate times need desperate solutions!  ::)
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

evie2

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2010, 11:07 »
 :lol: :lol: :lol:

xx
New garden

Started by Asherweef on General Gardening

6 Replies
Last post March 06, 2014, 12:26
by Goosegirl
xx
A sad garden Day

Started by mrs bouquet on General Gardening

7 Replies
Last post August 12, 2022, 12:36
by mrs bouquet
xx
Very wet garden.

Started by Butterfly on General Gardening

1 Replies
Last post March 27, 2008, 18:10
by Leligdowicz
xx
Dry Garden

Started by catllar on General Gardening

13 Replies
Last post November 04, 2010, 12:55
by catllar

Page created in 0.19 seconds with 36 queries.