What is this?

• 12 Replies

Sassy

What is this?
« on: January 09, 2014, 13:18 »
Joyfull, what is this breed specific legislation? :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: What is this?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2014, 09:25 »
it is to do with dogs that are of a specific breed or look like them, these dogs often family pets that have done nothing wrong can be seized and are often put to sleep simply because of how they look.
I realise some dogs are dangerous but they should not lump all dogs of a specific breed into just one category, instead they should only punish those that have done wrong and also their owners.
Many Staffordshire bull terriers and staffy crosses are seized under this law and sadly not all owners know that there are groups that can help them with lawyers and animal behaviourists.
Staffies are softer than you think.

Sassy

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2014, 20:20 »
Thank you :)

joyfull

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2014, 10:23 »
on the subject of breed specific legislation I saw this and thought how true - some cockerels are very aggressive  :D :D
1800262_10152220612643970_1722684444_n.jpg

Oliveview

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2014, 17:06 »
You should have seen our turkey in full attack mode, she was scary!

Pamela

joyfull

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2014, 17:15 »
my two guinea fowl Annie and Brian were positively evil - ask anybody who turned their backs on them.

Chrysalis

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2014, 22:30 »
my two guinea fowl Annie and Brian were positively evil - ask anybody who turned their backs on them.

Are they named for certain people from this forum? :nowink:

I never thought Grannie was scry until now! :ohmy: :D

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2014, 23:27 »
Joyfull, what is this breed specific legislation? :)

it is to do with dogs that are of a specific breed or look like them, these dogs often family pets that have done nothing wrong can be seized and are often put to sleep simply because of how they look.
I realise some dogs are dangerous but they should not lump all dogs of a specific breed into just one category, instead they should only punish those that have done wrong and also their owners.
Many Staffordshire bull terriers and staffy crosses are seized under this law and sadly not all owners know that there are groups that can help them with lawyers and animal behaviourists.

It's the Dangerous Dogs Act 1991.

Only 4 specific breeds are affected:

• pit bull terrier
  • Japanese Tosa
  • dogo Argentina
  • fila Braziliero
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

joyfull

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2014, 09:47 »
yes but many staffies and staffy crosses are being put to sleep because they are deemed type - simply because they are longer legged. The tests that the authorities carry out is simply based on a set of measurements. Even some Labrador crosses have suffered because of this act.
All the authorities need to do is a dna test (I did one for my Rosie) which costs less than £60 and this will confirm whether the dog is a banned breed. It costs a lot to fight these cases and many people do not know where to get the help. Also people automatically sign their dogs over to the police which is the worst thing they can do.
If anybody finds themselves they should contact DDA watch team. If you look at their website it gives you plenty of advice http://www.ddawatch.co.uk/

Lardman

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2014, 21:05 »
I worry about Max because of his proportions, even the vet said he probably has some pit in him. I was very tempted to get a DNA test but don't want it anywhere on record if the news isn't what I want.   :unsure:

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2014, 23:35 »

Are they named for certain people from this forum? :nowink:

I never thought Grannie was scry until now! :ohmy: :D

Nah! I'm a pussy cat really!  Can't comment on what Brian is though!!   :lol:

Chrysalis

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2014, 16:04 »
Well that's a relief, Grannie! :D

Poor old Staffies do get a bad reputation.  Some are great and very good with kids, but I know my own terrier/daschund hates them on sight.  (Mind you, he hates everything on his patch!)  Personally, I wouldn't trust a dog alone with children, even though my own dog is fabulous with kids (he thinks he is one).

joyfull

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2014, 18:29 »
yes the guinea fowl were named after Grannie and Brian, not because they are nasty but because they bought them for me  :D

No dog should ever be left alone with a child, dogs are not toys nor nannies and it really does annoy me when I see photos of peoples children laying on or sitting on dogs of any breed. Sadly Staffies became known as the nanny dog and some people assume that because of this they are safe to be left with their children.
There is just a handfull of dog breeds which the kennel club actually states are good with children and two of these are the Staffordshire bull terrier and the Newfoundland, sadly their past in the black country of using them for dog fights (after bull baiting was banned) has led to some mindless morons to re-kindle this past and use them as status symbols and fights.

Page created in 0.136 seconds with 39 queries.