Bird Avian Flu Outbreak Information

• 233 Replies

Madrat

• Experienced Member
Re: Bird Avian Flu Outbreak Information
« Reply #195 on: February 14, 2017, 14:42 »
Haven't seen a fishmonger for years.  Defra wouldn't be happy with you cooking for your girls, but I say sod Defra, there a waste of time anyway.

ghost61

« Reply #196 on: February 14, 2017, 21:47 »
If organic material can't be santisied according to DEFRA, then why will water do the trick?  Otherwise with all this rain the grass would be fine, or you could power wash it to get rid of any potential problems.  I think I'll follow the advice of removing the outer leaves.  Can't do that with spinach, but guess if it's come from a country with no avian flu then that's the best purchase.

Paul Plots

« Reply #197 on: February 15, 2017, 00:44 »
In areas where the restrictions are light I'd have thought reasonable precautions were probably all that are now needed. Up to the individual to work with defra's guidelines I'spose.

When using a pack of spring greens from a supermarket we discovered some small bright blue pellets. Looked for all the world like slug bait. Surely not. Washed them off and had them (the greens not the blue bits) with the veg for dinner.

Interestingly not the first time we've come across the same thing...... but the rabbit wasn't allowed any because of the little blue pellets.

Makes you wonder what else we end up ingesting from our veg both bought and grown. Always pays to wash it first. I wasn't too keen on the idea of spraying antibac.

Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

Willow_Warren

« Reply #198 on: February 15, 2017, 16:35 »
Sad to hear there's another outbreak, in Suffolk this time:

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/controls-for-avian-influenza-introduced-around-site-in-suffolk

Regards :(

grinling

« Reply #199 on: February 15, 2017, 19:08 »
A breeding shed for chickens, which will have a knock on effect for meat and egg production

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #200 on: February 16, 2017, 01:26 »
Alternatively had you thought of giving a boiled mash? Potato peelings and bran was what my dad used along with (you might prefer not to include this:) minced fish heads from the fish monger.  :unsure:

Probably illegal under DEFRA's no scraps rules... which we all adhere to with the same obedience as a cat who's been told not to lick that bowl of cream
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

MidlandBrewer

• Experienced Member
  • Homebrew Hero
« Reply #201 on: February 16, 2017, 12:59 »

[/quote]

Probably illegal under DEFRA's no scraps rules... which we all adhere to with the same obedience as a cat who's been told not to lick that bowl of cream
[/quote]

This is possibly my favourite quote of the year, I laughed so hard tea came out my nose!

Sassy

« Reply #202 on: February 18, 2017, 10:06 »
Alternatively had you thought of giving a boiled mash? Potato peelings and bran was what my dad used along with (you might prefer not to include this:) minced fish heads from the fish monger.  :unsure:

Could well be wrong but isn't it ok to feed these things as long as they have not been in a kitchen?
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #203 on: February 18, 2017, 11:18 »
Could well be wrong but isn't it ok to feed these things as long as they have not been in a kitchen?
My understanding is that it is OK legally to use scraps from a vegetarian household kitchen so avoiding contamination with meat - are fish heads meat? Do we peel potatoes outside? Will I be arrested if the hens sneak in the kitchen and eat the cat's food?

The ways of DEFRA are exceedingly difficult for mere mortals to fathom..

Flowerpower136

« Reply #204 on: February 18, 2017, 11:35 »
It's one of those rules that asks to be broken, but there is logic behind it somewhere. Think it was after mad cow disease which came about because animals were being fed animal waste, I dont mean poo, but left over bits and pieces. ie food scraps. 
That's what it's trying to prevent. We are what we eat, and so are chickens!
There's a post on here near the top outlining DEFRAs stance.

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #205 on: February 18, 2017, 12:10 »
It's one of those rules that asks to be broken, but there is logic behind it somewhere. Think it was after mad cow disease which came about because animals were being fed animal waste, I dont mean poo, but left over bits and pieces. ie food scraps. 
That's what it's trying to prevent. We are what we eat, and so are chickens!
There's a post on here near the top outlining DEFRAs stance.
I thought it was salmonella that prompted it. Regardless, it's effectively unenforceable and, in my opinion, crazy to apply to domestic keepers. (In theory you can get 2 years in clink!)
Rules that make sense for keepers of 50,000 + birds applied to those with 3 hens in the garden.
Nevertheless, I cannot promote the feeding of scraps without risking the wrath of the law whatever I may think of it.
Yanking back on topic - I fully agree with and support the rules regarding avian flu which potentially is a massive threat.

Madrat

• Experienced Member
« Reply #206 on: February 18, 2017, 13:26 »
Yanking back on topic - I fully agree with and support the rules regarding avian flu which potentially is a massive threat.

Just a shame a lot of people don't follow them and no one seems to enforce them.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2017, 13:27 by Madrat »

Flowerpower136

« Reply #207 on: February 20, 2017, 14:33 »
Us folks in Wales have a form to fill in which must be available for inspection!

http://gov.wales/docs/drah/publications/170216-avian-influenza-prevention-zone-self-assessment-form-en.pdf

Madrat

• Experienced Member
« Reply #208 on: February 20, 2017, 15:27 »
 :nowink:

Designed for the large keeper not a backyard.

Having passed 7 yes SEVERN farms and small holdings over the weekend all with flocks outside with no separation, and after reporting two separate places, one of witch is open to the public and nothing being done I have now given up.  My girls are out (under netting) and will not be contained in the future.

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #209 on: February 20, 2017, 16:04 »
...  My girls are out (under netting) and will not be contained in the future.

And the law of sod dictates that you will be the one to get it.  ::)

xx
New Bird Flu Outbreak

Started by grinling on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post May 08, 2017, 14:07
by Paul Plots
xx
bird flu outbreak in nth suffolk

Started by muntjac on The Hen House

68 Replies
Last post February 09, 2007, 14:04
by muntjac
xx
Bird Flu outbreak in SUFFOLK

Started by muntjac on The Hen House

54 Replies
Last post December 02, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
Avian TB

Started by agapanthus on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post October 16, 2007, 20:50
by richyrich7

Page created in 0.225 seconds with 55 queries.