Bird Avian Flu Outbreak Information

• 233 Replies

grinling

Re: Bird Avian Flu Outbreak Information
« Reply #180 on: February 09, 2017, 15:09 »
Thanks for that; I thought it meant that. Just need to drain a pond, then either net or remove (due to be moved this year)

Madrat

• Experienced Member
« Reply #181 on: February 09, 2017, 15:45 »
Just ordered some netting so I can enclose the run.  My chickens are getting tetchy now and the ducks are going scatty.

Flowerpower136

« Reply #182 on: February 09, 2017, 16:44 »
What do others think about having to net over the 'range' or not?   Am I reading it right or not?
I thought it could be open, but I'm not 100 % sure.

Willow_Warren

« Reply #183 on: February 09, 2017, 17:07 »
Not an easy read is it?  I and one of my colleagues spent the first hour of the day reading, digesting and discussing this!  (on the tenuous proviso that it was "work").

Madrat

• Experienced Member
« Reply #184 on: February 09, 2017, 17:08 »
Well I would say if it was open there wouldn't be much point.  Passed a farm on my way home tonight with a large flock of hens, ducks and geese all out in the open roaming a field at the side of the house.   :mad: :mad: :mad:

ACatCalledElvis

« Reply #185 on: February 09, 2017, 17:14 »
I read it as out and not netted (but supervised) if not in any of the zones - as long as you have cleaned the area if prone to any wild fowl flying over.
So come March 1st, I'm am not in a prevention zone my geese and chooks are going out in separate fields.........yay.

Nothing as sad as a goose who has spent their life out being cooped up........and now wants to build nests and lay eggs. I hope the zones don't change.
Be Reasonable Demand the Impossible

Organic as much as my plot neighbours allow

grinling

« Reply #186 on: February 09, 2017, 19:06 »
I don't understand what netting would achieve as any bird droppings would come through with rain. The netting is also mainly to stop dove and bigger, so smaller birds will be caught in it.

Madrat

• Experienced Member
« Reply #187 on: February 09, 2017, 19:30 »
This s very true, makes you wonder if its just an economic decision so people don't lose free range status.

ghost61

« Reply #188 on: February 10, 2017, 08:06 »
I have now seen on the interactive map that I will be in a higher risk area, despite the nearest outbreak being miles and miles away.  But if I lived a mile down the road I would be free to let my girls out from March.  Absolutely gutted.  DEFRA are following the washes locally, but have drawn a straight line rather than the true path.  If they did that then I'd be ok.  I can only hope that they reconsider the areas before the end of the month.  Or I may have to move.....

Flowerpower136

« Reply #189 on: February 10, 2017, 10:33 »
Just been on a Facebook chicken group.  The debate about netting is raging. It's really not clear at all, especially as someone has spoken to DEFRA and been told to use netting to keep separate from wild birds.
Also that grass can't be sanitised because it is organic........ so where does that leave us?
On concrete under netting? Might as well stay in the run?

grinling

« Reply #190 on: February 11, 2017, 20:32 »
Whooper swan found dead in Norfolk

Paul Plots

« Reply #191 on: February 13, 2017, 13:57 »
It is hard making decisions and finding information.

My birds (budgies not chooks) are out in their outside flight as it's warm inside today. Taking a chance?
I think we are safe as the outside flight is double meshed and the roof covered in corrugated plastic.

It would not be fair to keep them shut in for weeks on end as the inside flight is far smaller.

Here's hoping the outbreak will soon be over and everyone can get back to normal.
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

ghost61

« Reply #192 on: February 14, 2017, 13:11 »
Was down the allotment today and quite a bit of chickweed, chard and spinach growing away.  Great, I thought, the girls will love some of this, but then stopped myself as I can't be sure that nothing has contaminated it.  That made me wonder about the stuff I'm currently buying for the girls from the supermarket - doubt if that has been grown under cover - Spring greens locally grown, spinach from Europe.  Is it safe to feed the girls shop bought stuff?  Perhaps I need to source everything from Peru!  :unsure:

Flowerpower136

« Reply #193 on: February 14, 2017, 13:20 »
Mine are cabbage fans at the mo. I take off the outer leaves with just that in mind.
Now that light levels are improving I'll be growing trays of grass and easy greens in the conservatory. 

Paul Plots

« Reply #194 on: February 14, 2017, 14:20 »
Was down the allotment today and quite a bit of chickweed, chard and spinach growing away.  Great, I thought, the girls will love some of this, but then stopped myself as I can't be sure that nothing has contaminated it.  That made me wonder about the stuff I'm currently buying for the girls from the supermarket - doubt if that has been grown under cover - Spring greens locally grown, spinach from Europe.  Is it safe to feed the girls shop bought stuff?  Perhaps I need to source everything from Peru!  :unsure:

Wash it thoroughly under cold running water - that should help I would have thought.

Alternatively had you thought of giving a boiled mash? Potato peelings and bran was what my dad used along with (you might prefer not to include this:) minced fish heads from the fish monger.  :unsure:

xx
New Bird Flu Outbreak

Started by grinling on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post May 08, 2017, 14:07
by Paul Plots
xx
Bird Flu outbreak in SUFFOLK

Started by muntjac on The Hen House

54 Replies
Last post December 02, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
bird flu outbreak in nth suffolk

Started by muntjac on The Hen House

68 Replies
Last post February 09, 2007, 14:04
by muntjac
xx
Avian TB

Started by agapanthus on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post October 16, 2007, 20:50
by richyrich7

Page created in 0.244 seconds with 54 queries.