Bird Avian Flu Outbreak Information

• 233 Replies

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Bird Avian Flu Outbreak Information
« Reply #60 on: December 18, 2016, 13:57 »
Please can we stick the main topic of the thread - information about the outbreak.

Political comments aren't permitted as they quickly turn into unfriendly threads.  :)
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
Re: Bird Flu Press Release Today
« Reply #61 on: December 18, 2016, 14:34 »
There was an interview on the radio with the chief vet in Holland - she was talking around banning free range!

And there, I believe, lies the rub....so much control of backyard flocks that no one can afford to keep them any longer and have to rely solely on commercially grown foods.  The ultimate goal of all these government tactics.

I think you're right - but we're a little off topic now.
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Bird Flu Press Release Today
« Reply #62 on: December 18, 2016, 16:18 »
The Chief Vet is wrong, Geese are subject to the advice, I've just quoted the relevant paragraph. Maybe even the 'chief vet' hasn't bothered reading it. Maybe he also gets his education from Farcebook?

Unbelievable.

There is advice for geese, but it does make allowances for them that are not in place for other poultry and you don't know the circumstances of the geese spotted by Paul.  They may have been on their last day or two before slaughter as suggested.  The owner may well have been following the advice as far as they could and be feeding and watering the birds under cover, but enclosing the whole area may not have been practical, as you have found yourself.

Although a covering for the run would be ideal, and is advised, where I live it's open countryside high up so very windy, and a tarp is not practical. I have no garage or shed or other place to put them and it's impossible to have them in the house with me, so the mesh run will have to suffice.

As Ghost so sensibly said :

I think that as long as you are taking all the precautions you can, then that is all you can do.

This forum is a friendly place with lots of advice, chat and support.  I think that's even more important to remember in the face of this current threat to all our birds.

Tom Parrot

• Experienced Member
« Reply #63 on: December 19, 2016, 15:12 »
Hello readers,
I only have two hens now, had one hen attacked by a fox about four weeks ago and had to have it put down.
Anyway back to the flu. Mine have a coop with a run, both of which are inside a large aviary frame covered with chicken wire and last year I had covered the top of the cage with tarpaulin to keep the hens dry as they sleep on top of the coop run frame. Even when down to -5C.
The only thing is the chicken wire can allow small birds in.
Also the hens pace up and down the front when they see me. But, they don't try to come out now so they have settled down to the new environment.
I do give them the occasional brassica stalk to chew the leaves which they love. Alternative to not eating the grass.

grinling

« Reply #64 on: December 19, 2016, 18:53 »
If the chicken wire can allow small birds, then you need to cover all the wire. Clear plastic is best, polytunnel sheeting either online or garden centre, or buy a roll of white bin liners and cut in half and wire onto the mesh.
Mine are in the polytunnel, minus the house as it won't go through the door, because my wire lets in wrens, sparrows etc.
If a garden centre is getting rid of plastic wrapping that will do, or debris netting.

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #65 on: December 22, 2016, 23:39 »
A wild duck has been found dead in Llanelli. It has been confirmed it was the H5N8 strain. It's obvious that no one in the UK or Ireland can afford to be complacent. Lincolnshire to S Wales in a week.

Also - in case anyone has missed it, indoor gatherings of birds at events like fairs, auctions and bird shows are now banned until further notice.

This quote from Chief Veterinary Officer Christianne Glossop

"Bio security should never be compromised. - Even when birds are housed, there remains a risk of infection and keepers of poultry and other captive birds should ensure that every effort is made to prevent contact with wild birds.

The movement of poultry should be minimized, and clothing and equipment should always be disinfected."

Latest government information: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/avian-influenza-bird-flu

Flowerpower136

« Reply #66 on: December 23, 2016, 10:05 »
Very worrying development as that's only an hour from here. In fact I travelled back from that way yesterday.
Not sure if widgeon are migratory, but if they are it might be an isolated case of an aready infected bird dying on arrival. Fingers crossed.
Glad to say my girls are healthy and chirpy despite the lockdown.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #67 on: December 23, 2016, 11:19 »
According to the RSPB they do migrate and unfortunately, from areas already hit by bird flu  :(

https://www.rspb.org.uk/birds-and-wildlife/bird-and-wildlife-guides/bird-a-z/w/wigeon/

Your ladies are well protected Flowerpower, so fingers crossed all will be well  :)

Willow_Warren

« Reply #68 on: December 23, 2016, 12:17 »
This along with the RVHD2 in rabbits I'm a worried owner of little critters!

:blush:

grinling

« Reply #69 on: December 23, 2016, 13:47 »
Please can people remember to have grit available for their birds and oyster shell as well. Mine have always free ranged, but their new housing area has run out of natural grit. You do not want crop problems.

Paul Plots

« Reply #70 on: December 24, 2016, 01:18 »
Please can people remember to have grit available for their birds and oyster shell as well. Mine have always free ranged, but their new housing area has run out of natural grit. You do not want crop problems.

A good reminder... I once bred cockatiels and they loved gnawing on the concrete block wall at the base of their outside flight!

Budgie keepers are accustomed to providing oyster shell, grit and cuttlefish bone.... small foreign finches appreciate crushed egg shell. I wonder if chickens might or would it encourage egg eating?  :unsure:
(Forgot to say = egg shell is always baked in the oven first)

Hoping everyone's birds are doing well.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2016, 01:22 by Paul Plots »
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #71 on: December 28, 2016, 11:32 »
A  few days old as I haven't been reading the news websites, but more bird flu cases. I can see the end date for the restrictions being extended  :(

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leicestershire-38421337

grinling

« Reply #72 on: December 28, 2016, 14:08 »
I can see it going the full 12 weeks, but farmers can't afford to lose the free range status.

Put a nest site in today as they are over the moult and reding up. Hopefully they haven't kicked it over the place.

grinling

« Reply #73 on: December 30, 2016, 14:05 »
Another side to this is that free range egg farmers cannot sell their eggs due to the size as the birds are eating more. BIL is getting very large eggs from the butcher at a good price

ACatCalledElvis

« Reply #74 on: January 03, 2017, 19:05 »
A new outbreak found, this time in a backyard flock in Wales. So sad, was hoping the prevention rule would be raised - suppose no chance now

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/jan/03/avian-flu-found-in-backyard-flock-in-welsh-village-pontyberem
Be Reasonable Demand the Impossible

Organic as much as my plot neighbours allow

xx
New Bird Flu Outbreak

Started by grinling on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post May 08, 2017, 14:07
by Paul Plots
xx
bird flu outbreak in nth suffolk

Started by muntjac on The Hen House

68 Replies
Last post February 09, 2007, 14:04
by muntjac
xx
Bird Flu outbreak in SUFFOLK

Started by muntjac on The Hen House

54 Replies
Last post December 02, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
Avian TB

Started by agapanthus on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post October 16, 2007, 20:50
by richyrich7

Page created in 0.25 seconds with 52 queries.