chooks flying over the fence and away

• 22 Replies

TeaPots

chooks flying over the fence and away
« on: December 05, 2010, 11:59 »
I dont know why people seem to think that if they are not completely contained, that chickens will fly over the fence and leave home.  I think the opposite is true!  There is only a 3ft fence separating my free-rangers from next-door and 'freedom'.  Apart from Marge, who likes to go and lay her daily egg for my elderly neighbour, then hurries back again, none of my lot attempt to 'Escape'.  Chickens in general like to stay in their own territory if they are happy. They hop over the fence to greet me when I get home from work (corn time  ::) )

Fencing is to keep predators out, not keep the chooks in.  I do clip a wing of new girls, as I worry they will explore and then get lost, but once they know where home is, they dont even try to leave.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: chooks flying over the fence and away
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2010, 13:15 »
I don't clip the wings off mine (although I did clip the old guinea fowls as one kept going over the beck to my neighbours place and waking everybody up at 4am calling to his mate on our side  :mad:). My chickens venture into the fields and down the bridleway but always come home to roost - unless they are sitting on a clutch of eggs  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

8doubles

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2010, 13:24 »
I know for sure that if i wish to keep any veg a 3ft fence is not enough. :D

joyfull

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2010, 13:33 »
thats true - mine had the sweetcorn, cauli, cabbages, tomatoes and raspberries I tried growing the other year  :lol:

Tigerwren

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2010, 22:03 »
My girls ravaged my lovely strawberry plants this weekend too Joyful, but generally they spend their time in the neighbours fields and on the lane.  They completely do their own thing which I love.  That said as soon as they hear me coming home or calling them, they are back in minutes!  8)

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2010, 22:19 »
I am delighted to hear your confidence in chooks not wandering, TeaPots!

I went on a 'backyard chook tour' recently and took a look at various back yard setups in preparation for building my own.  It seemed a very common story that out of four or five hens, all but one would happily stay in their own space.  But there was always one that wanted to get out and explore!

In my situation it is vitally important that the birds stay on my property.  If they go over the fence even once, there is a high chance that they will end up as someone (human or animal)'s dinner.

That's why I have taken several steps to make sure it doesn't happen.  I have selected heavy, docile breeds, I am building 6-ft fencing around the chook run, and when I first get my pullets I intend to clip their wings until I can be sure they are not miniature Houdinis.

I am also clearing a buffer zone inside the run so there are no trees the hens can use as a launching pad to jump over the fence.

If you hear a small voice crying all the way from New Zealand you will know the chooks have still outsmarted me after all my efforts!  ???

ehs284

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2010, 07:43 »
3 ft! Ours would just take it in their stride. One bantam can get over a 6 ft. We're lucky that it isn't a problem. They get up, feed, are let out to wander the farmer's field (she doesn't mind), return until mid afternoon when they repeat their patrol of the field.

On a practical note, I'd be worried about a fence which was not high enough to keep them in, but could prevent them getting to safety. In a panic, they're likely to run up to the fence and be too close to fly over.

TeaPots

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2010, 11:22 »
mine stay within the confines of the fence, except the aforementioned Marge. My point is more that chickens, although they like to explore, are not desparate to run away and leave home.

8doubles

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2010, 12:52 »
mine stay within the confines of the fence, except the aforementioned Marge. My point is more that chickens, although they like to explore, are not desparate to run away and leave home.

If the feathered darlings visit the next-door neighbour and tear their pristine flower borders to shreds it may be you that is desperate to run away. :D

wolverine

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2010, 10:58 »
I was wondering wether to re clip my lou's wings she was clipped when we got her but has moulted since and has made no atempt to escape (yet) so I might let them be . hope I'm not making a mistake
"It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it."

joyfull

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2010, 14:15 »
if you do decide to re-clip then do the opposite wing to last time to even up the chest muscles.

Pertelotte

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2010, 22:40 »
I dont know why people seem to think that if they are not completely contained, that chickens will fly over the fence and leave home.  ... Fencing is to keep predators out, not keep the chooks in....  but once they know where home is, they dont even try to leave.

Could you get your girls to speak with mine? They could put Harry Houdini to shame.

Please.

Beano

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2010, 10:21 »
I like the sound of your hens Pertelotta, they sound like fun.
Lindeggs, I have one that hops over the fence while I'm at work and hops back in by the time I'm home. I know she does because I've seen the poo and the eaten veg. I know which one because I watched her do it when I was at home. She's such a character and it winds the others up no end. She also comes up to inspect my work when I clean the coop out.
El.

TeaPots

« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2010, 17:27 »
They all so love to help with the digging  :D

penninehillbilly

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2010, 23:24 »
One of my marans sits on the top bar of the fruit cage (7'+)

xx
Electric fence up & runnig

Started by GTFC197 on Chicken Chat

0 Replies
Last post July 01, 2010, 19:27
by GTFC197
xx
Electric Fence Insulators

Started by Knight Family on Chicken Chat

4 Replies
Last post November 07, 2010, 18:56
by Knight Family
xx
New hounse and Electric fence.. and now 2 more chickens!! (Pic's to follow)

Started by Knight Family on Chicken Chat

3 Replies
Last post July 13, 2010, 08:28
by Knight Family
clip
New chooks

Started by carl on Chicken Chat

5 Replies
Last post May 20, 2013, 21:11
by grinling

Page created in 0.144 seconds with 35 queries.