Electric Fence Insulators

• 4 Replies

Knight Family

Electric Fence Insulators
« on: November 05, 2010, 21:04 »
Hi a nice easy one for all you electric fence tonight.

So I've decided to add in 4 wooden stake posts in the corners of my 50+ meter nets. I was thinking of using these http://www.ukcountrystore.co.uk/acatalog/Electric-Fencing-Ring-Insulators.html but should I bother??
« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 14:49 by Knight Family »
Graham = 2x Border collie Dogs, 2x Cats, 1x Wife, 2x Kids, 2x Hamsters and now 10x chickens.

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
Re: Electric Fence Insulators
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2010, 03:12 »
Hi KF,

You would normally use the plastice stakes with netting which is energised through the horizontal strands and not the vertical ones so you would not use these insulators as they are designed to work with electric wire or tape to stop it losing energy into wooden posts. If you are going to fix the netting only by the vertical strands, you can probably get away without using them.

:)
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

hillfooter

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2010, 05:14 »
Yes these are OK but there's a risk that the net will touch the wooden post.   However a far simpler and cheaper method is to use a tree stake in each corner spaced off the net at 45deg by about 15cm or so.  Position a normal net post insulator at the corner and tie to the tree stake using a "nylon guy" cord.  Baler twine is ideal (ie the string you get round bales of hay or straw).  Tie two or three cords so the net isn't touching the wooden post (there's only 1 in the photo) and tension the net tightly with the guy cord and you won't have any problems.  Double click each image to get a bigger view.
Check out this thread too http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=56897.msg672396#msg672396

HF
Electric net corner.jpg
50m nets arranged into  two runs.jpg
« Last Edit: November 07, 2010, 20:55 by hillfooter »
Truth through science.

Knight Family

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2010, 18:06 »
Spot pm HF I'll do it that way. I'm just aware that I need to get some more tension in it. But thats now tomorrows job.

Knight Family

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2010, 18:56 »
Well today I fitted 4 corner posts and ended up replacing most of my electic posts (bar 4). I used a 5'6"posts and then used these isolators http://www.rutland-electric-fencing.co.uk/PageDetailImage.aspx?ImageURL=pic15-129.jpg . I used 4 per post and being honest it keeps the netting away from the posts.

I'll add a picture later but I must admit its cheaper than buying good 2 prong posts.

xx
Electric fence up & runnig

Started by GTFC197 on Chicken Chat

0 Replies
Last post July 01, 2010, 19:27
by GTFC197
xx
New hounse and Electric fence.. and now 2 more chickens!! (Pic's to follow)

Started by Knight Family on Chicken Chat

3 Replies
Last post July 13, 2010, 08:28
by Knight Family
xx
chooks flying over the fence and away

Started by TeaPots on Chicken Chat

22 Replies
Last post December 20, 2010, 00:31
by penninehillbilly
xx
electric fencing for chickens

Started by daisy1990 on Chicken Chat

1 Replies
Last post June 19, 2010, 07:47
by daisy1990

Page created in 0.135 seconds with 36 queries.