wine making books

• 5 Replies

mrsbean

wine making books
« on: July 20, 2012, 22:01 »
saw in earlier thread ccj berry,s book mentioned,been lookin on amzn mixed reviews about it. want easy to follow receipes,recomendations please.

grinling

Re: wine making books
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2012, 22:08 »
I bought it with abebooks and have just done 2 demijohns of gooseberry wine. Receipes very well done and easy to follow and as a beginner I like it.

Growster...

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2012, 05:03 »
This is our 'Bible' for winemaking Mrs Bean!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/The-Boots-Book-of-Home-Wine-Making-and-Brewing-B-C-A-Turner-/320949328864?pt=Fiction&hash=item4aba121be0

B.C.A. Turner's book has nearly everything you need, but some of the stuff like yast etc has much improved since we started in 1972...

VegGirl7

• Experienced Member
    • allotmentforaginghomebrewadventures
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2012, 11:28 »
I have "first steps in winemaking" by CJJ Berry and find it a very useful book to have at hand. 

There's loads of recipes in it and all the basic information you need to know (tables for sugar/alcohol content, formulae for working it out etc...)

I'd never expect 1 book to be the single source of truth/advice on any subject - I have numerous gardening books with contradictory information but, with a bit of common sense, help from people here in the forum and trial and error you can usually figure it out...

Personally I would recommend it  :)

Alastair-I

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2012, 14:45 »
On my bookshelf are First Steps in Winemaking by CJJ Berry and Booze for Free by Andy Hamilton.  I'd recommend them both to anyone taking up the arts of fermentation.  They both have very easy to follow recipes, Andy's book is easier to read and he makes more use of already in the home ingredients (cold tea instead of tannin) and he covers more than just wine (including soft drinks), but Berry is more comprehensive on wine-making.

mrsbean

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2012, 21:23 »
thanks to you all. have just bought the"Bible and ccj berry,s wine book. like you veggirl i  have loads of books on specific subjects i like  to mix and match.the book i used in the 70,s was fruity passions an introduction to country wine making by margaret jones/mary hardiman jones.borrowed from library just found b/berry recipe that i copied also did rosehip,elder flower/berry,used to go with kids picking fruit/flowers they used to see who could pick the most. those were the days...

xx
Wine Making Books

Started by Heifer73 on Homebrew

6 Replies
Last post December 08, 2010, 14:32
by Kleftiwallah
xx
Books on wine making for beginners

Started by Stellabella546 on Homebrew

4 Replies
Last post March 08, 2021, 06:17
by Growster...
xx
Wine Making - What kit do I need?

Started by Teen76 on Homebrew

1 Replies
Last post June 09, 2009, 21:26
by 2peasinapod
xx
Wine making

Started by Stevet63 on Homebrew

2 Replies
Last post October 17, 2013, 08:39
by Daamoot

Page created in 0.118 seconds with 36 queries.