Re-priming beer...

• 13 Replies

Growster...

Re-priming beer...
« on: July 19, 2012, 06:51 »
I've made 18 litres of a dark ale, and bottled it in 9 two-litre plastic cider bottles. I primed each bottle with a heaped tesp of sugar, and sealed it.

The first bottle, after a week, showed hardly any head when decanted, although there was no sign of the sugar! It tastes fine, but of course is nearly flat!

Is it worth re-opening each bottle and priming them again, or would that not work twice?

Casey76

Re: Re-priming beer...
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2012, 09:04 »
Were the bottles firm before you opened one?

Auntiemogs

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2012, 14:39 »
I would be tempted to try it with a couple and leave them somewhere warmish for a few days to see what happens.  :tongue2:
I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

Growster...

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2012, 21:32 »
Were the bottles firm before you opened one?

They were Casey, and the sediment was pretty hard as well - not floating about until the very end.

Those plastic bottles do take a lot of pressure, so I hope they're up to scratch.

I tried a half-litre, and rebottled with some water to make it up, and some more sugar. This will make a weaker mix, but that's not a problem if it works!

Growster...

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2012, 21:36 »
I would be tempted to try it with a couple and leave them somewhere warmish for a few days to see what happens.  :tongue2:

I think I'll do as you advise Auntie, because beer doesn't ever really 'die', although it takes longer to finish of course, which is perhaps not a bad thing if the waistline is approaching hmmmmm proportions...;0)

thedadtony

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2012, 16:02 »
For two litre bottles I usually prime with three and a half teaspoons of sugar, so I would reprime it should be ok,those bottles really can take some pressure.

Growster...

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2012, 16:56 »
For two litre bottles I usually prime with three and a half teaspoons of sugar, so I would reprime it should be ok,those bottles really can take some pressure.

Oh, as much as that!

Thanks Tony - I'll do that!

crh75

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2012, 12:53 »
You don't actually need to prime beer at all!  There is enough sugar for the yeast to slowly do its thing there already.  But whether you do or do not prime you should be leaving the beer for at least 4 weeks to condition and 6 to 8 weeks is better especially for stronger brews.

Growster...

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2012, 22:14 »
You don't actually need to prime beer at all!  There is enough sugar for the yeast to slowly do its thing there already.  But whether you do or do not prime you should be leaving the beer for at least 4 weeks to condition and 6 to 8 weeks is better especially for stronger brews.

I was always impatient CRH! The recipe I had hailed from the early 1970s, and recommended a week to ten days after bottling, with no ale to be left after 6 weeks!

I reprimed them on the w/e, and added 4 tsp white sugar per two litre bottle.

I think that the time could also benefit the flavour as well, as it is a very dark beer, almost the colour of a Guinness stout, but tasting more like a Velvet Stout (if you can remember that)!

It stopped fermenting at 1.006 which is sweeter than I'd have liked, but the bubbles had long since finished, so it was one to get under pressure pretty quick! OG was 1060.

Thanks for your comment - its encouraging!

Casey76

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2012, 08:32 »
7.3% ABV wow... want to be careful with that one Growster!

Growster...

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2012, 15:28 »
7.3% ABV wow... want to be careful with that one Growster!
Nowadays, Casey, I really just like beer in small quants, as the pensionable years just don't allow me to match the good old rugby-gallon days, and that's a good thing of couse...;0)

The recipe is an old 'basic' one I'd used for years back in the seventies, but the malts these days are far superior (Australian too!), to the old SFX and DMS malt of my twenties!

So, it's much smaller amounts these days , more intense flavours and yes, punch, but less of a headache too...!

I reckon to decant each two-litre bottle, drink some of course, and reseal for the next session and place in the fridge! Back then we only had Dry Blackthorn cider bottles - one litre, and we could share one of these comfortably!

Auntiemogs

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2012, 19:59 »
It sounds delicious Growster, I don't suppose there is any chance of a recipe?   :tongue2:

stompy

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2012, 07:59 »
For every 500ml you add half a tsp for ales porters (etc) and a full tsp for lager and cider.
If the bottles are clear keep them out of any sunlight as this can cause the brew to skunk giving off fusty tastes.

Also the yeast will have used all the added sugar up after only 1 week in the bottles, you will be able to tell this by squeezing the bottles and they should be firm to the touch.

As for not having to add sugar to the bottle to carbonate it, well thats actually wrong, if you fermented the brew out correctly the yeast will have used up all the fermentables and will have given you a constant hydrometer reading over 3 days adding no more sugar will  still give you a nice tasteing brew as it will condition in the bottle but it will be flat.

Andy

Growster...

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2012, 13:39 »
For every 500ml you add half a tsp for ales porters (etc) and a full tsp for lager and cider.
If the bottles are clear keep them out of any sunlight as this can cause the brew to skunk giving off fusty tastes.

Also the yeast will have used all the added sugar up after only 1 week in the bottles, you will be able to tell this by squeezing the bottles and they should be firm to the touch.

As for not having to add sugar to the bottle to carbonate it, well thats actually wrong, if you fermented the brew out correctly the yeast will have used up all the fermentables and will have given you a constant hydrometer reading over 3 days adding no more sugar will  still give you a nice tasteing brew as it will condition in the bottle but it will be flat.

Andy

Thank you Andy, this useful!

After trying three bottles, as Auntiemogs says, they were all still unprimed, and pretty well flat.

I'd topped them up with water, and tried again, but no avail, so I've now undone all the bottles, mixed them all again with some new yeast, and it seems to have restarted in a limited way.

I'll take your advice on the teaspooing, and will try two per two-litre bottle.

Its a strange one this, as it's such a basic recipe, (I'll post it Auntie - promise...), there shouldn't really be a problem! It tastes just like a strong stout, but is not lively enough!
« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 13:40 by Growster... »

xx
bulk priming for both bottle and keg

Started by lordthanatos on Homebrew

1 Replies
Last post September 09, 2013, 19:27
by BobE
xx
Ginger beer

Started by littlewitch on Homebrew

10 Replies
Last post October 03, 2009, 07:51
by willowman
xx
ginger beer

Started by flowergirl on Homebrew

5 Replies
Last post August 26, 2007, 23:39
by Annie
xx
Ginger beer

Started by bearhugger1972 on Homebrew

76 Replies
Last post January 10, 2013, 08:51
by Daamoot

Page created in 0.125 seconds with 36 queries.