Works a treat Grans!

New sort of gurgle sound...

GYO Girl

• Experienced Member
Re: My kitchen is overrun...
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2012, 11:07 »
Making wine (and very drinkable wine ;) ) from fruit juice is incredibly easy

The basic illustrated guide is here

I'm not confident enough yet to make wine from "real" fruit, but I'm sure if you search in this portion of the forum you will find several recipes for blackcurrant wine :)

And yes, WGJ/RGJ means white and red grape juice :)

Ooh I haven't seen that link before Casey76, its brilliant, thanks for posting it.  I'm going to give it a go!
No matter how many plants I have in my garden, I can always find room for one more.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2012, 16:09 »
Yes that link is brilliant.  I had been having a bit of trouble with the fermenting, but using WOW's method, everything is really peachy at the moment,

At the moment I've got 8  gallons on the go. orange, apple, apple/wgj, and blackcurrant,apple and rgj.

Then yesterday I bottled a gallon of apple juice wine, and I've still got 2 bottles in the garage that I did last month.

I am trying to be good and only drinking 1 bottle a weekend.  I know they are not 'mature' yet, but still taste fine!   :lol: :lol:

Growster...

« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2012, 18:31 »
Yes that link is brilliant.  I had been having a bit of trouble with the fermenting, but using WOW's method, everything is really peachy at the moment,

At the moment I've got 8  gallons on the go. orange, apple, apple/wgj, and blackcurrant,apple and rgj.

Then yesterday I bottled a gallon of apple juice wine, and I've still got 2 bottles in the garage that I did last month.

I am trying to be good and only drinking 1 bottle a weekend.  I know they are not 'mature' yet, but still taste fine!   :lol: :lol:

You are good Grannie! We worry if a gallon gets short by Sunday, and there's Monday this week too...;0)

But remember, it's not full strength, so we call it 'quaffing wine', because it is not as powerful as the bought stuff, and morelike  the strength of strong beer.

And, we can sit for ages talking together, and not really notice the gallons evaporating by the wine glass...

GYO Girl

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2012, 09:21 »
I've got a (ahem) "significant" birthday coming up in February, and everyone is trying to talk me into throwing a party.  I thought I'd give the WOW a go, and if it works I might try making batches with lots of different juices and have a little wine-tasting game at the party of "Name That Wine", with the guests having to guess which juice(s) is in each one.

Which other juices and combinations work well?  Would ideally need 10 different flavours.

Casey76

« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2012, 10:01 »

You are good Grannie! We worry if a gallon gets short by Sunday, and there's Monday this week too...;0)

But remember, it's not full strength, so we call it 'quaffing wine', because it is not as powerful as the bought stuff, and morelike  the strength of strong beer.

And, we can sit for ages talking together, and not really notice the gallons evaporating by the wine glass...

I'm not sure what you consider "full strength" Growster, but most WOW-types end up between 12 and 16% depending on how much sugar you put in!

Alastair-I

• Experienced Member
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2012, 10:13 »
I'm not sure what you consider "full strength" Growster, but most WOW-types end up between 12 and 16% depending on how much sugar you put in!

+1
Strong beer would be 6-8% (eg. doppelbock), WOW should be into double figures.

There are beers that are up to strong wine ABV, but these are exceptional.

For a party a selection of WOW and TC brews would be easy to produce.

Growster...

« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2012, 14:41 »
Yes that link is brilliant.  I had been having a bit of trouble with the fermenting, but using WOW's method, everything is really peachy at the moment,

At the moment I've got 8  gallons on the go. orange, apple, apple/wgj, and blackcurrant,apple and rgj.

I am trying to be good and only drinking 1 bottle a weekend.  I know they are not 'mature' yet, but still taste fine!   :lol: :lol:

But remember, it's not full strength, so we call it 'quaffing wine', because it is not as powerful as the bought stuff, and morelike  the strength of strong beer.

OG is 1.080 Casey, and end-of is about .988, - all within about 16 days.

That's about 10 % ABV max, but you can chuck it around a bit more at that strength...

No ceremony here, we rack it into 4 pint plastic milk bottles, and let them do the final settlement. I rack each one when we want some, and use the proper glass decanters for the table, unless we're desperate, or sitting outside!

To answer your sugar question, we use 5KG for 6.5 gals.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 14:42 by Growster... »

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2012, 14:51 »
I'm trying to lose weight Growster, that's why I'm trying to be good, and all my OH can handle at the moment is the occasional can of Mackeson!  He's spent years just drinking sparkling water and lime when we go anywhere.

Mind you, 2 gallons can disappear in a weekend if my daughter and granddaughter visit!!!   :lol: :lol:

xx
Whats clearing in the kitchen.

Started by Lardman on Homebrew

12 Replies
Last post May 29, 2012, 04:58
by Growster...

Page created in 0.149 seconds with 35 queries.