Elderflower Champagne Too Bubbly

• 6 Replies

thestens

• Experienced Member
Elderflower Champagne Too Bubbly
« on: July 02, 2012, 20:13 »
Last year I made E.C. and was a great success. Tried again this year with twice the volume, it has been in the bottles now for 2 and half weeks and is very lively. I release the pressure every other day but it really builds up again quickly. How long will I have to keep de gassing?
Taken over neglected veg garden at new home. Enemy number 1 Ground Elder. Then there is the furry terror - bunnies - to contend with!
Made a start have beds established but moved in too late for serious planting. We shall see what 2015 brings.

kegs

Re: Elderflower Champagne Too Bubbly
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2012, 12:12 »
Can't help I'm afraid but when you get the problem sorted could you please post the recipe and instructions for EC so I can have a go?  Thanks.  ;)

Thrift

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2012, 12:53 »
Visited a friend the other evening and she complained her's is flat this year, no bubbles at all. She thought it may be because it wasn't sunny ( as advised ) when she picked the flowers. Rather difficult this year to find a sunny day!

Sorry, no idea about too many bubbles  :unsure:

thestens

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2012, 17:50 »
Plenty of recipes on the web and if you are quick there are still flowers on the bushes. You only need flower heads, sugar, lemon juice and a bucket to brew in. Also bottles we used plastic ones and even then we had one explode.

ilan

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2012, 21:51 »
All sounds a bit hit and miss let alone Dangerous  :(The best way is to make it as a wine  ie ferment it with a proper yeast then when its fully dry ie finished fermenting in the demi joh and clear. bottle into plastic bottles with about 2 tea spoons of sugar per ltr at the most .
This is the first age that has ever paid much attention to the future which is ironic since we may not have one !(Arthur c Clarke)

Lawrence

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2012, 09:55 »
It sounds like it has too much sugar remaining, I would suggest pouring it back into your fermentation vessel for another week or so until the airlock stops bubbling and then rack it off into your bottles and re prime.

You will probably have sediment in the bottom of the bottles.

Alternatavely if you like the taste of it now, you could drop a Campden tablet into the bottle. That would stop the fermentation but leave the gas as it is.

stompy

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2012, 08:05 »
I would guess it hasn't finished fermenting out.Remove it to a demijon and continue it as previousely stated until you have aconstant hydrometer reading over 3 days.

Then rack to your bottles again with 1tsp of sugar per 1000ml of brew.
This will give yo a lager type fiz to it add another half tsp if you want a little more.

Incidently, what bottles are you using?

xx
elderflower champagne

Started by gardengran on Homebrew

1 Replies
Last post July 16, 2008, 18:27
by monkeybum
xx
Elderflower champagne

Started by David. on Homebrew

6 Replies
Last post August 17, 2007, 17:44
by Aunt Sally
xx
Elderflower Champagne

Started by Cazzy on Homebrew

122 Replies
Last post June 30, 2011, 22:51
by Growster...
xx
Elderflower champagne

Started by Sid on Homebrew

1 Replies
Last post June 18, 2010, 07:41
by Sid

Page created in 0.148 seconds with 36 queries.