OK... how long from start (fruit/fruit juce) to being able to drink it?

• 6 Replies

Casey76

I know it probably depends on the recipe.  But If I start a batch in July, will it be suitable for drinking in December?

I just thought that home made wince would make nice presents to my alcholoically inclined family!

(yes I'm hoping to brew my own wine, and I don't drink the stuff myself!)

Lardman

You can drink it any time you feel like it after the fermentation stops... BUT as a rule the longer you leave it the better it will become. There's all sorts of science and chemistry behind why.

If you're planning on your own from fruit - I'd start a few from preprocessed juice or kits so you get the hang of it first.  Im drinking the POG I started in May - carton to glass in 5-6 weeks.

.. home made wince ..

You've tried my spiced apple wine then  :lol:

Casey76

.. home made wince ..

Haha!  freudian slip... I can't stand the stuff myself, as I said

(still giggling at that)

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Mine never lasts long I'm afraid, but apparently, generally speaking, red wine should be left to mature for longer than white or rose.  Something to do with the tannin?

I'm not keen on red wine, but I used to have a big elderberry tree in our last back garden, and it was lovely mulled during the winter months.  (the wine, not the tree!!  :lol: :lol:)
« Last Edit: June 25, 2012, 23:46 by GrannieAnnie »

bearhugger1972

• my blog
but I used to have a big elderberry tree in our last back garden, and it was lovely mulled during the winter months.
I have a few bottles of elderberry wine maturing to give as Christmas presents and was wondering do you add the spices or just warm up the wine for it to be 'mulled'?
Work is for those who don't know how to garden

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
I just used to add the spices when I needed it, but if you want to give as presents, you could add the spices, or as a little extra, buy the spices like nutmeg and cinnamon sticks, wrap in little squares of muslin and tie the bundle to the bottle!

When I very first made elderberry I gave a bottle to my aunt.  Over the next few years totally forgot about it like you do, but 5 years later we went to visit her and she said would you like a drink.  While she was sorting out her drinks cupboard, she brought out the bottle of elderberry, not touched.

When we tried it, it was beautiful!  Tasted like a lovely mature port!   :D

New shoot

• Global Moderator
When I very first made elderberry I gave a bottle to my aunt.  Over the next few years totally forgot about it like you do, but 5 years later we went to visit her and she said would you like a drink.  While she was sorting out her drinks cupboard, she brought out the bottle of elderberry, not touched.

When we tried it, it was beautiful!  Tasted like a lovely mature port!   :D

My mum did something similar once.  She started a recipe for blackberry wine where you just layered berries and sugar and fermented them as was with no extra water and just the wild yeast off the berries.  She got to the stage where it settled down and she stuck it in a jar then in a cupboard, then as it was out of sight, promptly forgot it  ::)

About 3 years later she unearthed it and filtered out the gunk with trepidation.  It was like a liqueur and she got rave reviews from anyone who tried it  :lol:

xx
Jam from wine fruit

Started by gorymorph on Homebrew

6 Replies
Last post August 21, 2010, 15:19
by Knight Family
xx
Fruit wine

Started by Oakdalebirds1 on Homebrew

6 Replies
Last post July 29, 2013, 09:58
by Capt Zero
xx
fruit wine

Started by mike1987 on Homebrew

7 Replies
Last post December 12, 2010, 11:11
by mike1987
xx
Freezing fruit

Started by L.A. on Homebrew

6 Replies
Last post September 09, 2008, 18:53
by colliebird

Page created in 0.12 seconds with 37 queries.