Muntons Wine kits.

• 76 Replies

Auntiemogs

Re: Muntons Wine kits.
« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2013, 20:27 »
Or you could start with a 5L water container, which is easily portable.  ;)  There are some very nice fruit wines available in smaller kits.  ::) :D
I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

Auntiemogs

« Reply #31 on: August 11, 2013, 21:31 »
Bloomin' 'eck!  :ohmy: 

The kit I started a couple of days ago is bubbling along like a goodun, in fact it's gone up though the airlock and there is wine spatter everywhere!  Don't worry chaps, there is minimal spillage on the lid, so not much wasted!  ;)  Glad it's in the spare room though....

As an aside, Muntons are now supplying kits for 'Stark Naked' wines, so I guess that's where they've gone to and why the ones at Wilko might have been on sale.  Also, was checking the receipt for my ibrew kit (purchased fro Wilko) today as I'm going to keep a brewing diary, and it has..er..a Muntons order number at the top.  :lol:

BobE

« Reply #32 on: August 11, 2013, 21:58 »
Excellent.  Record all of the SG readings and count days between tasting.  You can build up a "How long" type data set.

Auntiemogs

« Reply #33 on: August 11, 2013, 22:49 »
Excellent.  Record all of the SG readings and count days between tasting.  You can build up a "How long" type data set.
You know I'm terrible with that Bob.   :nowink:  Having said that, I shall look for my brewing book as it has the temperature compensation chart, and see if I can find a magnifying glass somewhere (well, you did mention the word 'tasting'  :tongue2:). 
I did do a brief comparison yesterday (DS bought me a bottle of red from the Coop) and there was no apreciable difference.  If that's what it's like after 10 days I think I'm going to be a very happy (and slightly squiffy) bunny.  :)

BobE

« Reply #34 on: August 11, 2013, 23:02 »
You know I'm terrible with that Bob.   :nowink:  Having said that, I shall look for my brewing book as it has the temperature compensation chart, and see if I can find a magnifying glass somewhere (well, you did mention the word 'tasting'  :tongue2: ). 
I did do a brief comparison yesterday (DS bought me a bottle of red from the Coop) and there was no apreciable difference.  If that's what it's like after 10 days I think I'm going to be a very happy (and slightly squiffy) bunny.  :)

It will get smoother with a deeper flavour over time.  Try every Sunday, record the days, log your reaction.  Do that with every wine and you can build up your own perfection point.

If you find it fizzy, you will need to adopt a co2 removal regime.
Learn what works for you, you already know its drinkable after 7 days.  Can only get better.

Auntiemogs

« Reply #35 on: August 11, 2013, 23:36 »
Ok, just took a wee sample.  The reading is 0.992 and the temp of the room is about 26C.  Haven't found my book yet, so until I do, can you give me some idea of what I'm looking for please? 

Waste not, want not - cheers!  :D

BobE

« Reply #36 on: August 11, 2013, 23:47 »
Ok, just took a wee sample.  The reading is 0.992 and the temp of the room is about 26C.  Haven't found my book yet, so until I do, can you give me some idea of what I'm looking for please? 

Waste not, want not - cheers!  :D

0.992 is perfect, its ready to rack to a clean container.  Drop the wine into the new container, get the tube as high as possible,  this splash will get rid of a lot of CO2.  only do this with wine, not beer.  Have I explained that I mean get the end of the syphon tube as high up the new container as possible, this helps to dump CO2.

Leave it 24 hours under an airlock.  Roll it about, is it foaming? you need to reduce that foam, so if its foaming leave it another 24 hours under an airlock.  Four repeats is usually enough.  Taste it, is it fizzy? If not you can store it.

Auntiemogs

« Reply #37 on: August 12, 2013, 00:06 »
Excellent!  :D 

I did move it from the first ferment container a couple of days ago.  I've just looked at the destructions and I have some stabiliser and finings (2 lots) to put in (it recommends giving it a really good stir with the stabiliser), so I'll do that tomorrow, and then it recommends leaving it for a week and bottling up.  It doesn't taste fizzy at all, so fingers crossed it will be fine. 

Thanks for the tip about splashing it around.  I've only made beer before so tried to stop it from splashing.  Next time I shan't stop it.  :)

BobE

« Reply #38 on: August 12, 2013, 00:10 »
Gets rid of the CO2, the exact opposite to beer.  It sounds like youve made a brew there.

Auntiemogs

« Reply #39 on: August 12, 2013, 00:15 »
Gets rid of the CO2, the exact opposite to beer.  It sounds like youve made a brew there.
:D

Will get this one and the next out of the way (both reds) and then might try the Chardonnay.  It's DS's favourite wine and he's quite sceptical about it being drinkable, so fingers crossed.  :)

BobE

« Reply #40 on: August 12, 2013, 00:27 »

Will get this one and the next out of the way (both reds) and then might try the Chardonnay.  It's DS's favourite wine and he's quite sceptical about it being drinkable, so fingers crossed.  :)

Ok that sets the bar high.  The wine will brew perfectly its the problem of clearing it.  The first thing is to follow the kit instructions.  They will provide finnings. (Its sea shells, and I don't know how they work either).
Anyway before you serve it to him it needs to be clear.  So follow the kit and see what it looks like.  If its yellow, not clear, he will object.  If its yellow you need to filter.  This is my filter.

HF Vinbrite Mk3 Filter

HF Vinbrite Mk3 Filter
£21.98 (£22 to me!!)

This is the product description. Use this to clean and polish your wine up. It can be used with wine concentrates or country wines.It cleans your wine up beautifully and gives it a professional clear finish.

It does work and you can buy replacement  pads

HF Crystalbrite Pads

£6.40
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 00:28 by BobE »

Auntiemogs

« Reply #41 on: August 12, 2013, 00:35 »
Ooh, thanks Bob!   :)

BobE

« Reply #42 on: August 12, 2013, 00:49 »
Ooh, thanks Bob!   :)

There are others, but it starts to get expensive.  Also it is quite complicated to set up.  You have to get it working with water before you put in the wine.  Don't buy it yet, I will scan the instructions in for you to read.  You may prefer a different one.
Have a look around, see what you see, but wait till I can sent the book because you may not like it.

I wonder what Capt Zero does about filters?

BobE

« Reply #43 on: August 12, 2013, 00:51 »
Im away, talk tomorrow.

Auntiemogs

« Reply #44 on: August 12, 2013, 00:52 »
I think he had an early start today, so he's probably asleep.  Night-night.  :)

xx
Wine kits

Started by fallen angel on Homebrew

5 Replies
Last post July 01, 2007, 18:29
by Celtic Eagle
xx
Wine kits

Started by kegs on Homebrew

9 Replies
Last post October 28, 2011, 20:55
by Growster...
xx
Wine Kits

Started by Riala on Homebrew

18 Replies
Last post September 22, 2008, 18:56
by Yabba
exclamation
Wilko's own wine kits

Started by Oakdalebirds1 on Homebrew

13 Replies
Last post May 06, 2014, 08:22
by pepsi100

Page created in 0.122 seconds with 38 queries.