Courgette failure

• 3 Replies

dolby

Courgette failure
« on: September 15, 2009, 16:31 »
Don't know what has happened to my courgettes this year. I have always had great success with these in the past, in fact I have often recommended them to others as the ideal first crop as you can't really go wrong with them.
In the past I have always had tons of fruit, often leaving the last few of the year to grow into mini marrows to make soup with.
This year though I have had very few fruit, and much of what has started growing has started rotting from the end - I dont think I have got one that has grown longer then about 6 inches.
I have tried growing some in a bed in between the sweetcorn at the allotment and grown some more in a large pot at home with the same results form both.
Looking at the seed packet I can't seem to find a name. They were from Fothergill's and are simply marked Courgette  - early maturing, reliable crops.
Any ideas anyone?

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Courgette failure
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2009, 16:36 »
Sorry to hear about your courgettes  :(

It's been quite wet, which may have caused the rotting off - or perhaps the plants weren't actually pollinating?

I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

dolby

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2009, 17:04 »
I think they have been pollinating OK as the fruit start off, but when they get to about 4 inches the ends start to rot. I have never had this before - and the last couple of summers were just as wet.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2009, 17:09 »
Despite still being a "New Member" I already seem to have said this several times!

I find you will lose many fruits through lack of pollination even though they may initially start to swell; if you can, hand pollination is the answer .

Also, in wet weather the withered remains of the flower will sometimes cause the fruit to rot from that end; remove them as soon as you can break them off easily.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 17:12 by JayG »
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

xx
Courgette failure.

Started by Lardman on Grow Your Own

42 Replies
Last post August 30, 2011, 20:53
by New shoot
xx
pea failure

Started by tontom on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 29, 2010, 13:49
by chris23005
xx
Bean failure

Started by Eatyourgreens on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 13, 2009, 13:19
by Eatyourgreens
xx
Certain failure for chillies?

Started by adri123 on Grow Your Own

34 Replies
Last post March 27, 2014, 19:50
by gobs

Page created in 0.457 seconds with 39 queries.