Fleece for insect protection

• 5 Replies

booklady

Fleece for insect protection
« on: February 11, 2019, 02:53 »
Last year, I had an infestation of flea beetle on cabbages, broccoli, radishes, rocket etc.   I've read about using a lightweight fleece.  But, how does that work?  I've read that the beetles are in the soil from probably compost laid down on the bed, and so to my mind, putting a fleece on top of the young transplanted seedlings is only going to trap the flea beetles in there!

I also had onion leaf miner and found all my leeks and one complete bed of white onions, from sets, were infested, whereas the yellow and red onions are fine, so far.

Can anyone tell me if the fleece works, and if so, how to use it effectively - I don't want to lose any more veg - first time I've ever had problems.

TIA

Pescador

Re: Fleece for insect protection
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2019, 07:49 »
Check out the RHS site for recommendations, https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=510
Every Pickle Helps!

Paul's Preserves and Pickles.

madcat

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2019, 09:29 »
From practical experience, fleece doesn't work against flea beetle! They treat the warm space as a holiday camp!  I'm still looking for what does ...

For onion fly, allium miner, leek moth - I had a very successful year last year (after a mega disaster with allium miner) with very fine onion netting over the onions, shallots and leeks.  But it has to be very fine, 0.8mm is recommended by the RHS, so it isn't cheap.
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

DHM

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2019, 09:44 »
From practical experience, fleece doesn't work against flea beetle! They treat the warm space as a holiday camp!  I'm still looking for what does ...

For onion fly, allium miner, leek moth - I had a very successful year last year (after a mega disaster with allium miner) with very fine onion netting over the onions, shallots and leeks.  But it has to be very fine, 0.8mm is recommended by the RHS, so it isn't cheap.

Im guessing with mesh that fine, rainwater doesn't get through? Whats the deal with watering?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2019, 11:31 »
Rain still does get through, no problem ;)

madcat

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2019, 09:12 »
Rain still does get through, no problem ;)

She's right!  And when I feed, I just water it in over the netting.  Weeding is a pain ... picking times when the flies aren't in the air as much to reduce the risk and getting on with it fast. (early and in the rain are best  :()

xx
Insect netting and fleece sizes

Started by shokkyy on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post May 26, 2013, 03:28
by shokkyy
xx
Fleece protection for Brassicas

Started by Tohmahtae on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 20, 2010, 14:10
by prakash_mib
xx
Best carrot protection - Enviromesh or fleece?

Started by janeheritage on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post April 25, 2009, 22:31
by harrymac
clip
What insect is this?

Started by ptarmigan on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post June 19, 2017, 08:28
by sunshineband

Page created in 0.303 seconds with 46 queries.