To cover or not to cover... that is the question!

• 9 Replies

AndyRVTR

To cover or not to cover... that is the question!
« on: November 03, 2023, 18:43 »
Todsy while it was fine, I prepped next years potato bed... 4" of well rotted horse much and topped with another 3-4" of spent compost. My question to you guys is should I cover the bed with black plastic sheeting over winter or should I leave it open to the elements?  :)

Growster...

Re: To cover or not to cover... that is the question!
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2023, 18:49 »
I think I'd leave it open, Andy.

The 'goodness' you have provided from the manure and compost can then leach down to where the spuds will form, and that could take some time - perhaps the whole winter, and in any case, you'll have the fibre from the coverings to dig in during the early Spring!

Interesting subject this!

Learnerlady

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2023, 22:37 »
Hi, Andy
I cover all beds but use black weed suppressant which allows water through but blocks out a lot of light so keeps weeds down. I only use the black plastic on areas I'm trying to clear.
Interested in the opinion of others as I know general advice is to leave uncovered with the promise that frost breaks down heavy clumps and worms take compost/manure down into the soil but can't say I've ever noticed these promised benefits and I do wonder if nutrients get washed out if on a sloping site?

AndyRVTR

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2023, 08:32 »
I know when I covered my muck bin in plastic sheeting at the beginning of this year, I found when I uncovered it after a few months, there were hundreds of worms on the top that had turned the top few inches of muck into a nice fine, compost like texture.. worm poo maybe, I'm not sure?

Harry998

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2023, 13:18 »
We cover ours for a month or 2 each winter with black plastic. It's amazing how quickly a few wet weeks will wash out the nutrients and it helps reduce the weed load next year as well.
We are sheeted at the minute until the start of January, then lift the sheet mulch on for the year and sheet back down until we start sowing mid Feb

Learnerlady

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2023, 21:19 »
I know when I covered my muck bin in plastic sheeting at the beginning of this year, I found when I uncovered it after a few months, there were hundreds of worms on the top that had turned the top few inches of muck into a nice fine, compost like texture.. worm poo maybe, I'm not sure?

Hi, for making compost yes, always cover to keep heat in and weed seeds out (well I can dream) , plus it's a requirement on our site. But if it's well rotted and spread not sure. This year I've decided to cover my worked beds but not add compost & light dig, until the soil is warming up and a few weeks before I'm ready to use as I think some of the nutrients get washed out. I'll do this depending upon what crops planting not all beds

Snow

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2023, 19:26 »
I leave mine uncovered, I think there will be less pests this way, I might be wrong tho. I'm not sure how much nutrient gets washed away, homemade compost is good as it releases nutrients as plants need them, so I dont think you lose much over winter. I've only topped my garlic bed so far, but I'll be pulling a bunch of veggies out by mid month so will add more then.  I need to go to the beach to get some seaweed for the brassicas, I'll use that as a mulch too

Nobbie

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2023, 19:58 »
When I covered my beds in black plastic overwinter it acted as a good nesting site for mice who then munched on any veg in the vicinity. I try to keep cover to a minimum now to prevent the buildup of mice numbers.

steven c

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2023, 07:21 »
I dont normally cover our raised beds  I have spread manure on all 6 beds this week and have covered 3 with black poly will be interesting to see any differences,
from bow like to grow

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2023, 12:21 »
I hate seeing sites full of plastic!!!!

I never cover mine, saying that I don't prep say the spud bed till Feb as I don't sow till Mid April.

In this area the only weeds that grow you can dig in and they will rot down, don't see the point in giving all the homeless slugs a cozy area for them to breed and lay offspring in the spring.

However... each to their own, its your plot.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

xx
to cover or not to cover.that is the question

Started by sion01 on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post November 10, 2010, 21:39
by Yorkie
xx
To cover or not to cover my tomatoes

Started by Anton 2 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post August 08, 2021, 12:51
by Anton 2
question
To cover or not to Cover

Started by RonBin on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post July 30, 2012, 08:30
by RonBin
xx
To cover or not to cover?

Started by Fairy Plotmother on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post October 02, 2018, 10:55
by MustbeMad

Page created in 0.349 seconds with 46 queries.