How to tell the difference between sitting and broody?

• 8 Replies

chick with chicks

How to tell the difference between sitting and broody?
« on: January 17, 2010, 21:21 »
Hi All,

A few questions about breeding, as we don't have a clue and want to have a go this year. My gut feeling is that it's a bit early at this time of the year but we live in Co. Kerry and the climate is much milder, with no snow!!! LOL

Firstly what time of year do hens sit on eggs for hatching?
The Roosters are getting in the mood for love already, does this mean it's action stations for little chicks?
I was down getting eggs today and a hen was actually sitting on two of them, how do you know to leave them or take them?

Thanks, all opinions and advice very welcome,

Carrie  :D

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: How to tell the difference between sitting and broody?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2010, 21:28 »
My roosters are being very active - they go mad doing what roosters do when I first let them out and then have another amourous bout of activity just before bed time  ;)  :lol:
I won't try to let any hens hatch any though until the weather gets better (you never know if the snow will come back) probably March/April time - so the chicks will be born April/May ish (thats if any hatch of course  :D)
Staffies are softer than you think.

dizzylizzie

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2010, 21:46 »
my cockerel is very, ermm, active if you know what i mean ;),Firstly tho, not all hens get broody, and if they do, they may not be reliable sitters.Also you have to watch a girlie that does sit, you must make sure you get her off her nest for 15mins to eat and drink as some girlies wont/dont want to leave the nest to the point their health suffers. i wouldnt let my girls sit on eggs at the moment, and if you have no experiance you should wait till the weathers warmer so you can give the chicks as much of a chance as possible. I would use the time that you have to do as much research as possible so you are as fully prepared as you can be , and it will give you the knowlage to spot any potiential problems and sort them quickly. You need to be prepared to take over from mum with chicks, so you need to have somewhere warm for them, just in case. You also need to make your mind up aboutany potiental males. As anyone on here will tell you, there is usually quite a high percentage of males.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 21:49 by dizzylizzie »

alotment lad

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2010, 21:53 »
if you get a hen to sit now it would be a mirical .  its to cold and wrong time of year the earyest time for broodys is march to be fair .  i would collect your eggs as its way to early and she will have just been laying . or  some times in the cold if the chicken is feeling cold and a warm egg is layed they will sitt on it threw the night for warmth, plus as i know of what breed you have a crossbreed will be best sitters prefflaby silky cross as they make good sitters and mums.  this time of year you would pick one up for around 2 3 pound if that . there good to have for the few months to settle in ready for the hatching sesion. 

good luck :)

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2010, 08:20 »
Also make sure you have a broody coup so that she can be kept separate from the others, dust her coup and bedding with diatom as when sitting they become prone to lice (not all - one of mine got them but not the other). When they hatch watch out for crows etc as they will quite happily help themselves to a chick or two as will the other hens. What will you do with the resulting boys as you can see from the swop/free to good home section boys are hard to rehome even pure breeds as serious breeders will need to know the full parentage lines so that they don't bring in inferior birds? Please do spend time reading up about this before you jump in - I do appreciate you are excited at the prospect of doing this but getting as much knowledge before hand will pay dividends  :)

chick with chicks

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2010, 20:55 »
Hi All,

Thanks for all the help and advice, plenty to think about!

Carrie ;)

8doubles

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2010, 21:42 »
If you try to take the eggs and the hen growls and pecks you she is starting to take the job seriously.  :)

chick with chicks

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2010, 18:46 »
LOL Love that!! :D

IMOmimey

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2010, 19:39 »
you wont when she does it, it hurts  :tongue2:
Pets:if you don't love them like family, don't have them

xx
broody hen not sitting on all of her eggs

Started by jax86 on The Hen House

24 Replies
Last post August 13, 2011, 19:33
by bantam novice
xx
Broody hen hopefully sitting on fertile eggs!

Started by shargi59 on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post July 26, 2010, 11:57
by Tazzy
xx
Moving a broody sitting on eggs?

Started by pandora on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post May 09, 2010, 14:07
by pandora
xx
2 broody silkies sitting on 1 batch of eggs

Started by silverteen on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post June 17, 2012, 12:49
by Craigx

Page created in 0.224 seconds with 39 queries.